Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #701  
Looking at those saws and thinking back too the 60's with our old blue Homelite I think it was a Zip. Heavy slow hard starting smokey but a dang sight better then the alternative.
My father would drop our firewood and maybe lope off the larger branches, and I'd go along with a double bit axle and delimb and trim. We would keep everything down to about 3 inch in diameter.
Often times skidding logs out to the log yard next to the wood shed to cut up later with the belt driven buzz saw.
Don't miss that a single bit.

I have a pic of a Homelite 2000 I sold compared to the G888 clone I had. MS880 gen2.

Homie 2000 was a big saw too. 115cc - heavy just like 88 too.

G888 compared to the G444 440 and G466 460 for size.

h2000g888.jpg

g888444466.jpg

/ Battery powered chainsaw #702  
It seems silly to be talking about large gas saws on a battery power saw thread.
I suppose comparing ***** size is the manly thing to do…lol

iMO I need both. A decent gas saw and a handy battery saw. If I am sawing larger stuff or have a couple of hours of saw work, the gas saw makes sense. If I need a saw for less than half an hour of work, I use the electric.

Last edited:
   / Battery powered chainsaw #703  
It seems silly to be talking about large gas saws on a battery power saw thread.
I suppose comparing ***** size is the manly thing to do…lol

iMO I need both. A decent gas saw and a handy battery saw. If I am sawing larger stuff or have a couple of hours os saw work, the gas saw makes sense. If I need a saw for less than half an hour of work, I use the electric.
Comparing a battery saw to an 088 is silly but some of the battery saws claim to equal a 65 cc saw. If any battery saw could pull a real saw chain not some super low pro crap and cut head to head with my MS261 and do it for an hour I’d be extremely impressed. And it has to weigh a comparable amount. Weight is the only reason I even bought the 261. Otherwise I’d just use my 500i.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #704  
Comparing a battery saw to an 088 is silly but some of the battery saws claim to equal a 65 cc saw. If any battery saw could pull a real saw chain not some super low pro crap and cut head to head with my MS261 and do it for an hour I’d be extremely impressed. And it has to weigh a comparable amount. Weight is the only reason I even bought the 261. Otherwise I’d just use my 500i.
Exactly. Nicely summarized.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #705  
I would have serious doubts about the benefit of such a connection. To be short enough to act as a safety if dropping the saw it would be way to short to allow reaching up to trim limbs and such.
It would be handy as a way to keep the weight of the battery of the saw or other tool.

It's not intended to act as a power-kill safety switch, it just needs to easily disconnect if you trip over the cord, or drop the saw and run. I don't care if the cord is short or hella long, I just want it to easily disconnect if need be.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #706  

How many batteries do i get to use ?

/ Battery powered chainsaw #708  
The battery saw makers should be working on a lightweight battery that could last as long as a tank of gas.
This past weekend I saw an 80V Bag Boy chainsaw at the LS tractor dealer who sells Bad Boy ZT's. The battery did not seem very heavy. I don't mind swapping out batteries every hour but adding $200 for a spare battery brings the cost to $600.

Supposed to have the power of a 43 cc machine. A bit less than my current gas saw, a Shindiawa 488, that has been a good saw for my needs. I had a Rancher 455 but it gets heavy after a while and ended up selling it.

There is no perfect saw for everyone.

I agree with you in respect to battery technology. If they can get decent run times and do not weigh too much it becomes a game changer. There is a far larger market for a good saw for internment use than what professionals and heavy users want.

Being able to insert a battery and run for an hour without starting issues or fuel mixing/treatment ticks a lot of boxes for most people who use a saw a few times a year.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #709  
Gas, Battery, Manual, Corded. I got them all here. Be prepared for anything 🤷‍♂️

You just never know when the need arises.

No I never use the corded thing but couldnt pass it up. 😂

Also have Gen on wheels for welder etc too. So before ya say only as good as cord and outlet. But no I wont do that either. :ROFLMAO:

pp400e.jpg
pp400.jpg
pp400d.jpg

/ Battery powered chainsaw #710  
The battery saw makers should be working on a lightweight battery that could last as long as a tank of gas.
They got those for boat batts in deep cycle etc. I priced them because those suckers are heavy and needing a new one for next spring. My normal boat deep cycle batt is 150-200. They wany 800-900 for one.
I cant recall how much lighter they said but thinking it was half the weight. Will go find it.