Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
who owns owns one ? Brand ?

/ Battery powered chainsaw #2  
Owned a corded Craftsman so long I can't remember buying it. I mostly used it off a ladder in the past but the older I get,the better I like it for normal duty. If it gos belly up before I do I'll buy a battery operated the next day.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #3  
I have a 60v dewalt.... its OK... but somewhat disappointed that it doesn't seem to live up to the reviews... I find battery life less than advertised and cutting speed slow compared to a good / sharp gasser.

Good to have around strapped to back of ATV or truck for those unexpected needs but if the cutting work is planned I will choose gas.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #4  
I bought into the Stihl AP line both home and Christmas Tree Farm and no complaints other than the cost.

Now have pole saw, blower, 3 hedge trimmers and 3 saws.

Use something every week.

I would like Stihl to develop more uses for the AP... maybe lighting, USB, etc.

The hardest part is the first tool because it's the tool, charger and at least one battery and it adds up!

/ Battery powered chainsaw
I've thinking about buying a cheap one (Ryobi) I have a 15% off coupon at HD.
A friend has one and he really likes it. Says it has plenty of power and he can put it down, do other things and not have to pull the start rope to get the engine going, Just push the button and start cutting.

I already own 3 gasoline powered saws, and just thought this battery saw is something that would be handy to use around the farm

/ Battery powered chainsaw #6  
At the Christmas Tree Farm the gas saws were started hundred plus times a day...

The battery is a joy... one charge good for all day and quiet and no mix fuel.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #7  
The Forest Service, and Cal Fire are experimenting with them in some California locations where the environmental risks are high. They are worried about the spills, and they both have several instances of burns from fuel geysering during refills every season. The batteries are thought to eliminate both issues.

The initial is that they get about half the inches of cut per unit weight, when comparing the battery saw, and three batteries, vs. the gas saw and fuel can. The kit out for the two saws and spare whichever drives it, both weigh about the same, and take about the same pack volume.

They make the most sense for engine crews, who get there by truck, than they do for Hot Shots, Heli-Rappelers, and Smoke Jumpers all of which can have extensive hikes to get to the fire, from their last point of vehicle transport.

I have a Dewalt 60V, for carry on the tiny truck, and now the tractor if I’m going to mess with the trees. It is nice because I don’t have to have the gas can with it, and it doesn’t leak in my tool box during transport. Plus, on the tiny truck, I carry a 60V, half inch impact driver, which uses the same battery, and I’m looking at the Dewalt air compressor to reinflate tires if needed.

On the tractor, I can also carry the saw and impact driver or whatever other tool I might need for the days project. I bought the 12-volt charger for the batteries a couple of weeks ago. Once things warm up a bit, I’ll figure out suitable mounting locations.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #8  
Like ultrarunner I bought into a single manufacturer's 'line' due to the battery. In my case it's the Makita brand as they make very decent hand tools and garden tools. I use a 6Ah battery, either single or double as the 'skin' requires.

The only complaint that I might have about the chainsaw is that you have to be very conscious of the chain tension as it loosens quicker than a conventional two-nut bar hold (does that make sense?). Mine has a 'fold-away handle' bar hold although you can buy the same model with the two-nut bar hold configuration.

The twin-battery Makita chainsaw is a lot lighter than my Stihl 2-stroke chainsaw.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #9  
For cutting trees and large limbs I use my Sthil MS291. For real small trees and up to 4" limbs and pruning a Greenworks 40 volt on Walmart clearance a few years ago that works well. I carry it and an extra battery in truck.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #10  
I've had an EGO 16" chainsaw for a few years now...no complaints, does a good job for residential use. I liked it so much, I purchased their pole saw as well.
Works best (for balance) with a 5.0 A/hr. battery