Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #331  
I purchased the EGO 16" based the video reviews posted back around post 147 in this thread and my better half bought the EGO string trimmer and she really liked it. The EGO beat the Sthil saw in that review in every metric except weight and run time. The EGO had a 2.5ah battery and the Sthil had a 7.2ah battery... that explains the difference in run time. I have cut down/sliced up 3 trees in the 10"-12" diameter range and it has done well, no complaints. I do need to be honest in that 2 of the trees were dead pines and the other was a holly tree, not the hardest woods to cut. I have some oaks that need to come down this fall and it will be interesting to see how it does on those. It does the job well and I don't need to worry about gas and pull starting, it is also quiet enough that there is no need to wear hearing protection. It is rapidly becoming my go to saw.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #332  
I purchased the EGO 16" based the video reviews posted back around post 147 in this thread and my better half bought the EGO string trimmer and she really liked it. The EGO beat the Sthil saw in that review in every metric except weight and run time. The EGO had a 2.5ah battery and the Sthil had a 7.2ah battery... that explains the difference in run time.
Not knowing what review or Stihl saw I believe you are comparing Stihl 36V 7.2Ah (260Wh) to EGo 56V 2.5Ah (140Wh). The 18" EGo comes with 5.0Ah (280Wh). Watt-hours is the most accurate measure of battery capacity.

The runtime of the battery also depends a lot on how hard it is worked.

The 16" EGo I borrowed had no grunt with a 2.5Ah battery. Much better with the heavier 7.5Ah battery from my EGo mower. But not the equal of the 18" I purchased with a 5.0Ah battery.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #333  
The EGO I got was the 16" with the 5.0ah battery. I can push the saw thru the log as hard as I want and the chain doesn't slow down.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #334  
The EGO I got was the 16" with the 5.0ah battery. I can push the saw thru the log as hard as I want and the chain doesn't slow down.
I was trying to cut dead dry sassafras with the 16" and was not terribly impressed even with a brand new chain. It struggled. But since my 18" has cut similar with ease.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #335  
I was at the cabin this past weekend for the first time since the snow mostly melted. A neighbor down river came driving up. He asked if I could come cut a tree out of his drive so he can get in. I chuckled. It was just last year he was bragging how awesome his dewalt battery saw was.

Lets just say it was not up to the task of getting him in.

I grabbed my oldest, but strong, Husky 2100. I run 40:1 in it and let her run. I told him not to worry about the smoke, that's just power and reliability.

It was a proud moment to show the know-it-all the folly in his ways...
Some people take pride in odd things.
Both types of saws have their place. For those small jobs, an electric saw shines. Pop in a battery, and cut. By the time you've gotten a gas saw started, the project is done with the battery saw.
Gas saws are still way out in front when it comes to bigger jobs, both in power and run time.

I have both.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #336  
Some people take pride in odd things.
Both types of saws have their place. For those small jobs, an electric saw shines. Pop in a battery, and cut. By the time you've gotten a gas saw started, the project is done with the battery saw.
Gas saws are still way out in front when it comes to bigger jobs, both in power and run time.

I have both.

I guess the point was, people are starting to rely upon battery chainsaws. If you're dependent upon getting in or getting out...they're not there yet.

I agree they have a place, but it's light duty to this point.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #337  
I guess the point was, people are starting to rely upon battery chainsaws. If you're dependent upon getting in or getting out...they're not there yet.

I agree they have a place, but it's light duty to this point.
From what I've seen, there are a number of battery chainsaws which will match a decent 40cc gas saw. There are a couple which match a decent 50cc gas saw (but not a pro-type 50cc saw). I've yet to find one that works well with anything longer than a 16" bar (at least in the hardwoods I'm generally dealing with. Maybe I'd feel differently if I was dealing with more Pine?)

/ Battery powered chainsaw #338  
This morning, I did my 5 battery use on my Ryobi 14" saw. Overall, I am satisfied, but, well you knew there would be a but. Twice now I have had the saw quit after cutting for maybe 20 minutes. The display on the battery is indicating "battery overheated". After removing the battery from the saw, the overall temp of the battery pack does not seem that warm, how ever, the bottom of the battery does seem quite warm. This is the area where the control circuit is. Here is a cut from a Youtube video of a 2.5AH 40V battery showing the control board.

1688076365275.png

I have just got a new 40V 4Ah battery for the saw. Now I have two of them. I sent a note to Ryobi asking if the "hot battery" thing is a battery fault. Doesn't seem that the battery should shut down that way.

Richard

/ Battery powered chainsaw #339  
This morning, I did my 5 battery use on my Ryobi 14" saw. Overall, I am satisfied, but, well you knew there would be a but. Twice now I have had the saw quit after cutting for maybe 20 minutes. The display on the battery is indicating "battery overheated". After removing the battery from the saw, the overall temp of the battery pack does not seem that warm, how ever, the bottom of the battery does seem quite warm. This is the area where the control circuit is. Here is a cut from a Youtube video of a 2.5AH 40V battery showing the control board.

View attachment 808476

I have just got a new 40V 4Ah battery for the saw. Now I have two of them. I sent a note to Ryobi asking if the "hot battery" thing is a battery fault. Doesn't seem that the battery should shut down that way.

Richard
Not sure I'm following your verbiage (I'm slow?) but my Makita's will shut down and say "your battery is HOT!"

/ Battery powered chainsaw #340  
Came home yesterday to find a 30yr old apple tree snapped off 5ft up . Grabbed the Dewalt electric and limbed it all up bucked till I got to the 14" portion of the trunk on one 5ah one 2ah battery(no hearing protection), put 1/2 tank mix in the Stihl 041 32" and cut stump flush to ground and bucked it up in 5 min(ear muffs). Emptied the 1/4 tank fuel back as who knows when it'll be started again.
Each has it purpose and will keep both as needed. Gal of mix is taking forever to use now!