Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #321  
Refurb available at Direct tools outlet online for $89 right now. (no battery but if like me I have several of those laying around)

Steve

Hi Steve,
Not only do I not have batteries, I also don't have a charger. So at this time, I will pass on your offer.

Richard

/ Battery powered chainsaw #322  
For just the low dollar value, there is this:

Kobalt 40V saw Model KCS1040A03 40V 14" SAW W/4.0AH BATTERY AND CHARGER
$120.00 PLUS $30.00 SHIPPING TOTAL COST $150

This is a internet price from E-bay. Local Lowes price is:
$229.00 for the same saw/kit.

So here is the question, how does any warranty repair or replacement differ from local purchase or internet purchase ?

Richard
Typically you have to purchase from an authorized dealer to have a valid warranty. The seller at that price on eBay is unlikely to be such, and that's why you're getting a discount.

Some dealers may sell on Amazon or eBay; if it's important to you double check who the seller is.

IMO with a big enough discount and an extremely high seller rating it may be worth it... maybe.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #323  
Refurb available at Direct tools outlet online for $89 right now. (no battery but if like me I have several of those laying around)

Steve
That's the older 14". I'm taking about the not-yet-released 20" that'll presumably have even more power. Advance reviews look promising but that's expectable considering the reviewers obviously have a relationship with the vendor to get product early to review...

/ Battery powered chainsaw #324  
I want to get a 14" battery powered saw that I will use from time to time to cut down trees or just trim some of the limbs on my trees in my yard. This will NOT be used in a business or professional type situation.
I have used the 14" and 16" versions of EGo's chain saw. Exact same saw, different bar.

The 18" EGo in comparison is a delight. I think you will be pleased. All EGo tools use compatible batteries, all 56V, only the amp-hour capacity differentiates. More amp-hours the heavier the battery. The 18" saw may not put out maximum torque with less than a 5Ah battery, I know the 16" was a wimp when I tried a 2.5Ah.

If you do a lot of trail trimming you will delight in the electric never having to be started just to trim a little branch. Just pick it up, pull the trigger, cut, release trigger.

Vendors will try to impress you with high numbers. Doesn't 80V sound impressive? How could you go wrong with 80V? Everyone knows the higher the voltage the smaller the wired needed! That is the theory. The reality is 80V is better than 20V. But that doesn't mean they can't get the job done with 20V.

Other vendors emphasize amp-hours. To accurately compare one with another multiply volts times amp-hours to get watt-hours. An EGo 56V 7.5Ah is 420 Wh. A Greenworks 80V 4Ah is 320 Wh.

I have DeWalt smaller tools including angle grinder and 1/2" impact driver for lug nuts. My bigger stuff is EGo including self-propelled lawn mower.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #325  
Other vendors emphasize amp-hours. To accurately compare one with another multiply volts times amp-hours to get watt-hours. An EGo 56V 7.5Ah is 420 Wh. A Greenworks 80V 4Ah is 320 Wh.

Well that is the truth.

I have looked at the EGO 14" saw. It maybe a fine saw, but there is a significant price difference between that and the Ryobi, with the EGO being more.

Richard

/ Battery powered chainsaw #326  
I have looked at the EGO 14" saw. It maybe a fine saw, but there is a significant price difference between that and the Ryobi, with the EGO being more.
I would not buy the EGo 14” or 16” at all. But the 18” is a no-apologies saw.

Not familiar with the Ryobi.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #327  
I was at the cabin this past weekend for the first time since the snow mostly melted. A neighbor down river came driving up. He asked if I could come cut a tree out of his drive so he can get in. I chuckled. It was just last year he was bragging how awesome his dewalt battery saw was.

Lets just say it was not up to the task of getting him in.

I grabbed my oldest, but strong, Husky 2100. I run 40:1 in it and let her run. I told him not to worry about the smoke, that's just power and reliability.

It was a proud moment to show the know-it-all the folly in his ways...

/ Battery powered chainsaw #328  
I would not buy the EGo 14” or 16” at all. But the 18” is a no-apologies saw.

Not familiar with the Ryobi.
I've only used one a couple of times, but from my experience, if someone were to put a 16" bar on the Ego 18" saw, that would be a better match of power to bar size.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #329  
OK an update. This morning I looked again at the Ryobi saws at Home Depot. Well today, they had a new offering. They had the 40V 14" saw kit that included a battery and a spare chain, that was less dollars than the Rhobi I was look at.

So i decided to go for it. It's this one:
RYOBI 40V HP Brushless 14 in. Electric Battery Chainsaw and Extra Chain with 4.0 Ah Battery and Charger for $250. With my military discount, the price was only $20 more than the E-bay one I was looking at.

I hope this works out.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #330  
OK an update. This morning I looked again at the Ryobi saws at Home Depot. Well today, they had a new offering. They had the 40V 14" saw kit that included a battery and a spare chain, that was less dollars than the Rhobi I was look at.

So i decided to go for it. It's this one:
RYOBI 40V HP Brushless 14 in. Electric Battery Chainsaw and Extra Chain with 4.0 Ah Battery and Charger for $250. With my military discount, the price was only $20 more than the E-bay one I was looking at.

I hope this works out.
please report on it after a few tanks of oil.