bar oil test

/ bar oil test
I've used the petroleum based stihl oil for years which he didn't test but I like his tests and feel he is unbiased. Pulling a tight chain over the bar is steel on steel at high speed will produce lots of heat. His heat numbers are to show the friction amounts each oil gives.

Last edited:
   / bar oil test #12  
Harvest King is what I purchased last year at the Glasgow Rural King. Have used it for years since Rural King came to KY.
I think it was on sale for $6 last summer so I bought a few.
Dont know if they have it now.

/ bar oil test #14  
I always tell locals buy the cheapest at farm stores local over name brands. Can buy 3-4 compared to 1 for cost.

I never even had proof of anything but my own uses.

Now it confirms it even more. :ROFLMAO:

This, cam2 etc etc etc all in 8.99 9.99 range today at FFH TSC Menards. I even liked the poulan pro in red over husky and others.

Like to see most of the farm store brands done now. One I bet wont do good is that walmart bar oil. Even for 30wt it seems thin. Makes good winter oil if had to buy it.

bo.jpg

/ bar oil test #15  
Most the time I like Project Farms tests, this time not so much. For example the scar test. Does that really apply to bar oil? It’s more useful on motor oil. The only test I see that really applies is the chain wear test. I realize he has to do some kind of testing and while interesting I’m not sure how useful other than the chain wear. I have a gallon jug of the Husky oil right now, I will probably switch away from it next time I buy.

/ bar oil test #16  
I always tell locals buy the cheapest at farm stores local over name brands. Can buy 3-4 compared to 1 for cost.

I never even had proof of anything but my own uses.

Now it confirms it even more. :ROFLMAO:

This, cam2 etc etc etc all in 8.99 9.99 range today at FFH TSC Menards. I even liked the poulan pro in red over husky and others.

Like to see most of the farm store brands done now. One I bet wont do good is that walmart bar oil. Even for 30wt it seems thin. Makes good winter oil if had to buy it.

View attachment 843001
I would agree about the Poulan Pro oil being some good stuff. From my own testing couldn't even smoke the stuff while pushing a puddle around with a propane torch. Sold the stuff for years. My Poulan parts distributor stopped carrying the Poulan pro 952030204 oil a few years back and was replaced with the Poulan 952030130 which is still good oil, but not like the other. A few years ago I was seeing issues with the whatever brands bar oil Rural King was selling because it the winter time it would thicken to a consistency similar to partially gelled diesel fuel. And would wipe the plastic gear out of the oil pumps on saws.

/ bar oil test
I would agree about the Poulan Pro oil being some good stuff. From my own testing couldn't even smoke the stuff while pushing a puddle around with a propane torch. Sold the stuff for years. My Poulan parts distributor stopped carrying the Poulan pro 952030204 oil a few years back and was replaced with the Poulan 952030130 which is still good oil, but not like the other. A few years ago I was seeing issues with the whatever brands bar oil Rural King was selling because it the winter time it would thicken to a consistency similar to partially gelled diesel fuel. And would wipe the plastic gear out of the oil pumps on saws.
We swtich to winter oil, in the winter. The stihl oil we use got way to thick but I'm not certain they call it all temperature anyway. Having a winter temp can bar oil is no big deal.

/ bar oil test #18  
Which one at RK. 30. They sale like 5 different bar oils and 2 of them in different weights for winter. 10 20

If us men actually read owners manuals in past. They even say during winter can be cut with diesel too. If not running winter weights.

/ bar oil test #19  
We swtich to winter oil, in the winter. The stihl oil we use got way to thick but I'm not certain they call it all temperature anyway. Having a winter temp can bar oil is no big deal.
A lot of bar oil brands have went to a summer weight and a winter weight. It all use to be just all season. years before bar oil people used 30w motor oil and would cut it 50% with kerosene in the winter

/ bar oil test #20  
Which one at RK. 30. They sale like 5 different bar oils and 2 of them in different weights for winter. 10 20

If us men actually read owners manuals in past. They even say during winter can be cut with diesel too. If not running winter weights.
I am sure it was 30w. the stuff would turn into crystal sparkley molasses below about 40 degrees, but nobody has winter blend 10w like now. the poulan pro was thinner at 0 than this stuff was at 40.