Balancing trailer tires

/ Balancing trailer tires #1  

MFWD

Silver Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC35D with cab, a 2007 New Holland Skid Steer and a 1970's 154 Cub Lo-Boy, 2016 John Deere XUV 550 Gator
Hello,
This is probably a dumb question, but do tires on an aluminum 5.5' x 10' utility trailer need to be balanced ? I just bought one from Tractor Supply a few months ago and have only used it a few times, but the other day when I was pulling it, it seemed to be hopping and not running real smoothly.

MFWD

/ Balancing trailer tires #3  
Him.... Are you sure the wheels spins ok? I'd lack it up and spin each tire to make sure no noise from bearings. Make sure the tire has no visable bulge and not out of round. Is there any flat spot on tire from over braking?

/ Balancing trailer tires #4  
Balancing is clearly good. However, perfect balancing won't keep my trailer from bouncing when it's empty. Every little bump in our terrible roads makes it bounce. If it's OK loaded, balancing may not help.

/ Balancing trailer tires #5  
There are also no shock absorbers on trailers to help control bounce.

/ Balancing trailer tires #6  
Do you think the OP is talking about the bounce an empty trailer gets from going over a bump when it's empty, caused by a stiff suspension and thinks it's being caused by an unbalanced tire?
Perhaps.
I assume he's asking about balancing a tire because of the bounce, wobble, vibration, that one gets on a smooth road that's typical from being unbalanced.....or having flat spots or bad bearing, etc..

/ Balancing trailer tires #7  
I have a 20' equipment trailer that pulls so much smoother when empty with balanced tires and I have several gooseneck trailers that it doesn't seem to matter one way or the other, but if it was mine and it was a bumper pull trailer I would have them balanced and see what happens.

/ Balancing trailer tires #8  
Same question about RV tires......get them balanced.
Unseen forces at work that help reduce stress to the belts in the tires and help with longevity of equipment overall. Also when getting flats repaired just remind the repair guy about the weights so he marks tire and keeps it in balance. (well as close as possible anyways).

Did TT tires when the GY Endurance tires got mounted and the 20' utility tires as well. My anecdotes my be placebo effects, don't know but an empty 2800 pound 20 foot utility trailer tows much better when empty.
Just a very good low cost investment.

/ Balancing trailer tires #9  
I run DynaBeads in my trailer and motorcycle tires, works for me even though many will argue they don’t and it’s junk science...

DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads