Tires on a utility trailer.

/ Tires on a utility trailer.
Would it even carry the SCUT?

I don't know trailers. Trying to learn and don't want to put money into something that won't do what I need.

/ Tires on a utility trailer. #12  
If the gvwr is truly 3500 and trailer weighs 575 your load limit technically would be 2925 lbs.

/ Tires on a utility trailer. #13  
This is a Kubota subcompact TLB in a 12 ft trailer.

and

You may not have room to move the tractor for proper tongue weight with a 10 ft trailer.

Bruce

/ Tires on a utility trailer. #14  
6 lug hub could be a 6k axle, don't forget to subtract tongue weight that your vehicles carrying from trailers capacity. Ie 6k axle +600 lbs on the tongue technically gives you 6600 total weight rating including weight of trailer I suppose you could measure axle diameter and figure it out I think my 8k rated axles were 3.5" currently have a 17k rated rated deck over with tandem 7 k axles technically only meets the stickers rating if I'm carrying 3k of weight on the tongue/ trailer hitch. if it were mine I'd probably redo the axle bearings on your refurb, and I'd use pure copper stranded wiring not copper clad aluminum stranded. Good luck

Last edited:
   / Tires on a utility trailer. #15  
It's on you to figure out the load rating on axle but I can tell you I've never seen a 5 lug hub with capacity less than 1250 Lbs x 2 = 2,500 for two wheels,nor more then 1,750 Lbs x 2=3,500 Lbs for two wheels. Based on experience gained from decades of owning and operating trailers I NEVER put trailer rated tires on ANY trailer unless it's an emergency with no other option. I use LT tires rated C through G as load requires. For occasionally used trailer I normally buy new tires for a truck and put used tires from truck on trailer. LT vs ST argument has raged on since tires were assigned ratings because some don't understand that in addition to load capacity truck tires must pass additional tests that trailer tires don't.

/ Tires on a utility trailer. #16  
Once I get the Mean Green Tahoe Machine, I'll be able to do things I never could. One of those will be to haul the Little Blue Diggin' Machine. But I have questions.

Neighbor has a 5 x 10 trailer that has been stuffed off in the woods for many years, 15 at least. I pulled it out of the woods a few days ago and began looking it over. Structure is fine, but it needs work. Deck is probably shot and will need new planks Fenders are dinged a bit but can be straightened. One tail light mount is bent. Tail lights and wiring are shot and will need to be replaced. Trailer jack is tilted several degrees (mount plate is torqued) and will need to be straightened.

But for now, the question is on tires. Both are shot, unusable. It has P205/75R15s on it now, most likely not original. Tire store says those are not suitable and it needs trailer tires at $100/ea.

Tag says GVW is 1,575 and GAW is 6,600 (if I can read it right since it's very faded.)

Opinions?
Tag says “215/75” so go with that. Most likely a 3500# axle. Compare to one’s being sold at tractor supply. Tire shop is probably saying to do not put regular automotive tires on it because they are not suited for trailers. There are probably thousands on the road with them anyway but not encouraging you to do that.

/ Tires on a utility trailer. #17  
I've ran old truck tires and rims on an old trailer of mine cause to my surprise a tire already mounted on a 6 lug Toyota rim fit it. Some may have noticed a few new discounted trailers are put together with a hodge podge of leftover parts anyway.

/ Tires on a utility trailer. #18  
Diggin It, look at the tag, call the phone number and talk to them. Maybe with a few pictures of trailer and tag, they can figure out what the trailer is rated for and what tires should be on it. Jon

/ Tires on a utility trailer. #19  
In my opinion that trailer has too much rear overhang to safely haul the Little Blue Diggin' Machine:

Trailer.jpg

/ Tires on a utility trailer. #20  
Whoa it's only a 5 lug I swore I saw 6 initially oh well looks very similar to my 12' I'd never haul a tractor on it . that size trailer is comes in very handy for other things. good luck.