Trailer wood deck treatment: Brush on used oil, linseed oil, sealer stain, unicorn tears...?

/ Trailer wood deck treatment: Brush on used oil, linseed oil, sealer stain, unicorn tears...? #11  
I have multiple trailer decks that are coated in motor oil and even a shed that's stained with motor oil.

Last year I used a very expensive ($75 gal) oil based log home stain on my 1yr old trailer deck. This year it's starting to look weathered so I coated it in used motor oil. I did move skids of concrete and enough lumber to build a 3br cabin useing this trailer in the last year.

/ Trailer wood deck treatment: Brush on used oil, linseed oil, sealer stain, unicorn tears...? #12  
Used motor oil use it on the flat racks and the trailer. Do it on a warm sunny day in direct sunlight. If you have to do every few years it only costs you the time to apply it.

/ Trailer wood deck treatment: Brush on used oil, linseed oil, sealer stain, unicorn tears...?
So, I went last Saturday and ordered an Amish built 24' X 12' shed. I talked to the fellow making the sheds, and he stocks used oil and offered to spray it for me for a price. I declined, as I can do it myself easy enough with a garden sprayer.

His opinion is that some of his sheds on the farm are oil brushed by his relatives 50+ years back and still there. He said that it is a very common thing for Amish to do and has been for decades. Sounds like the path to take.

I am getting 4 24"x36" windows, 80" double barn doors, 40" man door, extended eves out 14" from the building walls, and for $3200 plus $400 for the local shed mover guy to pick it up and place it. I told him to have it ready for the end of May. I am excited for the shed at my cabin to have a place to store things inside, stack and air out Amish rough cut lumber, get my lawn tractor and pellet smoker inside and I am going to frame in a shower room with an 2.64 GPM portable propane instant water heater.

This will make the camp/cabin much better.

/ Trailer wood deck treatment: Brush on used oil, linseed oil, sealer stain, unicorn tears...? #14  
So, I went last Saturday and ordered an Amish built 24' X 12' shed. I talked to the fellow making the sheds, and he stocks used oil and offered to spray it for me for a price. I declined, as I can do it myself easy enough with a garden sprayer.

His opinion is that some of his sheds on the farm are oil brushed by his relatives 50+ years back and still there. He said that it is a very common thing for Amish to do and has been for decades. Sounds like the path to take.

I am getting 4 24"x36" windows, 80" double barn doors, 40" man door, extended eves out 14" from the building walls, and for $3200 plus $400 for the local shed mover guy to pick it up and place it. I told him to have it ready for the end of May. I am excited for the shed at my cabin to have a place to store things inside, stack and air out Amish rough cut lumber, get my lawn tractor and pellet smoker inside and I am going to frame in a shower room with an 2.64 GPM portable propane instant water heater.

There is an old farmhouse on my property. When the house was built over a century ago, they used motor oil on the exterior clapboards. The clapboards are still solid.

/ Trailer wood deck treatment: Brush on used oil, linseed oil, sealer stain, unicorn tears...? #15  

A garden sprayer wont spray used motor oil very well. They tend to clog prety easily. I suggest something like a HVLP gun or a airless sprayer. Both are very cheap from harbor freight. Either way buy your self a $13 stain brush and back brush every inch of the shed. The brush really helps soak the oil into every crack and crevice. Letting the wood dry a few months prior to staining may also be a good idea.

/ Trailer wood deck treatment: Brush on used oil, linseed oil, sealer stain, unicorn tears...? #16  
change the oil in a motor and while its hot go dump it on the trailer floors and mop it around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Trailer wood deck treatment: Brush on used oil, linseed oil, sealer stain, unicorn tears...? #17  
I have been using a 50/50 mix of diesel and used motor oil on every trailer I have had and not once have I had to replace a floor. I put it on using a long nap roller on a miserable hot sunny day, it soaks in leaving a slightly brownish color.
I also use NEW motor oil and enough diesel fuel to make it come out of my pump sprayer. I have never replaced a trailer deck. I apply it every spring.

I use the cheapest motor oil I can find.

/ Trailer wood deck treatment: Brush on used oil, linseed oil, sealer stain, unicorn tears...? #18  
Doesn't using motor oil make the trailer deck slippery when wet?

/ Trailer wood deck treatment: Brush on used oil, linseed oil, sealer stain, unicorn tears...? #19  
I spray mine with Thompson's WaterSeal using a garden sprayer.

/ Trailer wood deck treatment: Brush on used oil, linseed oil, sealer stain, unicorn tears...? #20  
Doesn't using motor oil make the trailer deck slippery when wet?
Been using 50/50 motor oil & diesel on my trailer floor and have yet to have it be slick when wet. Just gotta let have time baking in the hot sun.