Oil and a little diesel fuel for trailer deck wood.

/ Oil and a little diesel fuel for trailer deck wood. #1  

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
About every 3-4 years I treat my trailer deck wood with oil and a little diesel fuel mixture seems to work better than anything else I have tried to preserve the wood deck.This combo seems to soak into the wood better and repel water.

/ Oil and a little diesel fuel for trailer deck wood. #2  
I beleive it makes for a good prerservative, as the diesel, or Kerosene, or paint thinner serve as the bonding agent. Do you use brand new, or simply used oil?
On the siding of my home, I have used with success a mixture of linseed oil and thinner. It is expensive though. With new oil, it could prouve to be a winner...

/ Oil and a little diesel fuel for trailer deck wood.
I beleive it makes for a good prerservative, as the diesel, or Kerosene, or paint thinner serve as the bonding agent. Do you use brand new, or simply used oil?
On the siding of my home, I have used with success a mixture of linseed oil and thinner. It is expensive though. With new oil, it could prouve to be a winner...
I mix new oil verses old oil.

/ Oil and a little diesel fuel for trailer deck wood. #4  
Anyone tried Cabot tung oil?

I know the oil works but I often use my trailer for slowly hauling kids around our 25 acres. Worried about staining their clothing.

/ Oil and a little diesel fuel for trailer deck wood. #5  
I use Synthetic ATF and cheap Thompson's sealer from walley workd or HD or paint thinner at 50-50. I get the cheap Wall-mart ATF fluid. Has held up very well, and is not as slick as a motor oiled deck. A gallon of mixture did my 23' deck over for 2 coats. Used pump up sprayer and siding brush.

/ Oil and a little diesel fuel for trailer deck wood. #6  
I too use old oil on my trailer deck. Every other year I do the deck and every fall, just before winter when I park it I actually paint the entire trailer frame, fenders, ramps, and sides. It really helps and the price is right.

/ Oil and a little diesel fuel for trailer deck wood. #7  
Anyone tried Cabot tung oil?

I know the oil works but I often use my trailer for slowly hauling kids around our 25 acres. Worried about staining their clothing.

Tung oil will not stain. It is a fairly light oil, so its stickyness disapear quite rapidly.

/ Oil and a little diesel fuel for trailer deck wood. #8  
I use old motor oil and diesel fuel every fall before the winter months start...I usually do 2 or 3 coats which might be a little overkill but it beats re decking a trailer every few years

/ Oil and a little diesel fuel for trailer deck wood. #9  
Old oil with Kerosene works well.

/ Oil and a little diesel fuel for trailer deck wood. #10  
My Dad used that mix to treat his homemade trailer floors for years. Helps keep the moisture out if you store the trailer with the bed tilted so the water runs out, which is helps by the oil coating. Best solution is inside storage.... if possible...