Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #31  
Back in 1998, when I was looking for a backhoe attachment for my JD650 tractor, my JD dealer (who knew me, and what I would be trying to do with it) kinda winced. I knew from his look, I should think more. The backhoe attachment was $9,800. For $10,000, I bought a used mini excavator. I was immediately happy I made that choice, and 2500 hours later, I'm still happy about that choice. I even accidentally made a good choice of mini ex (JD15), and it has a lot of uumph for it's size. I have run other mini ex's in that size range, and mine seems to have a lot more pull for stumps and big rock lifting.

A mini ex is probably faster for trenching work, and having 360 swing makes some work a lot faster than the less than 180 swing of a backhoe.

And... when you get one stuck, you have the other to use to pull it out.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #32  
What I was trying to say, is, the price to add a back hoe to a 'mid sized tractor' would pay for quite a few week long rentals of a real TLB. So, if it's the kinda work were you can line up a few days worth of solid back hoe work, and rent a real TLB for a few days, and get the jobs all done; that's what I would do. I dont think there is any argument that an actual TLB is more capable, more efficient, than a 'mid sized tractor with a back hoe'. Plus, yiu can abuse the heck out of the rental and not feel bad about it.
Before I bought my compact with the BH I figure after 35 days at the current price at the time my back hoe would be paid for. 1/2 way there with 1 summer completed. Plus its used for other projects you would rent a BH for

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #33  
Back in 1998, when I was looking for a backhoe attachment for my JD650 tractor, my JD dealer (who knew me, and what I would be trying to do with it) kinda winced. I knew from his look, I should think more. The backhoe attachment was $9,800.
$9,800 for a backhoe on a little 17 HP JD 650 in 1998 ?? Good grief.
I paid $5,200 for an 8 1/2' digging depth, 11' reach w/subframe and 18" bucket backhoe for my 35 HP tractor in 2003.
I've done lots of work around here with it the past 20 years and its still working great.
Available within minutes any time I need it.

Attachments

• HPIM0992.JPG
    HPIM0992.JPG
    942 KB · Views: 171

Last edited:
   / Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #34  
I paid $5,200 for an 8 1/2' digging depth, 11' reach w/subframe and 18" bucket backhoe for my 35 HP tractor in 2003.
I've done lots of work around here with it the past 20 years and its still working great.
Available within minutes any time I need it.

Attachments

• HPIM0992.JPG
    HPIM0992.JPG
    942 KB · Views: 171
Mine was 9k with 16" bucket in April this year, included the rear remotes. Hope mine last 20 years

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe
The way I read this the OP is trying to choose between a midsize TLB like a L47 and a tractor (like a 4701) that has both backhoe and loader attachments.
How about it OP?
Exactly right. If I got a tractor, I'd want something that can handle moving feld trees as well as installing and maintaining a small food plot/garden

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe
It also depends on what your property is like and whether you already have a house and barn or are planning on doing some building. Also on your plans for the trees.

The used construction TLBs like the Deere 310 are at a sweet spot on the market right now. If you are willing to take your time and research local schools, parks, city maintenance shops and such I'll bet you can pick up a good used TLB for way less than a compact tractor. Those old 310s are comfortable, durable, parts are fair, and the yellow Deere mechanics and dealers are pros.

We have a long driveway in the mountains and use our old 310 to plow snow. No special attachments necessary....just lower the bucket so it skims the ground and drive forward. Not much stops it.

About the only thing it won't do is till the garden - but it will even do that where the hoe bucket can reach.
Maybe someday a clever guy will make a tilling attachment for a backhoe bucket.

For 6 acres of suburban lawn the 310 would be out of place, but for a few acres of more rugged rural woodland it would be a reasonable choice.

rScotty
About 2.5 acres of lawn the rest heavily wooded with more and more feld trees each year.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #37  
Back in 1998, when I was looking for a backhoe attachment for my JD650 tractor, my JD dealer (who knew me, and what I would be trying to do with it) kinda winced. I knew from his look, I should think more. The backhoe attachment was $9,800. For $10,000, I bought a used mini excavator. I was immediately happy I made that choice, and 2500 hours later, I'm still happy about that choice. I even accidentally made a good choice of mini ex (JD15), and it has a lot of uumph for it's size. I have run other mini ex's in that size range, and mine seems to have a lot more pull for stumps and big rock lifting.

A mini ex is probably faster for trenching work, and having 360 swing makes some work a lot faster than the less than 180 swing of a backhoe.

And... when you get one stuck, you have the other to use to pull it out.

I tried to go that route but apparently used mini EXes are All Gold plated around here. At least there are some Good Old TLB's available.

Glad I Got mine. and compared to putting a backhoe on the back of my tractor

Nice to have a 15 foot digging depth with Good power and also works as a spare FEL machine with a yard bucket and darn good lift capability for under $10K. and makes a great compliment to my small utility tractor that can run PTO things like the brush cutter, 85" roto tiller, or 87" Inverted snow blower.

IMO Old backhoes are underrated on a cost per dollar capability chart as are Good used small utility tractors

Last edited:
   / Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #38  
I think I mentioned it earlier. but if not, you can get a Case 580 on the back of an ex-military Unimog for that kind of money, even today.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #39  
Renting?? First you have to take time to go and get one if
they have one available. Perhaps your rent it shop has dozens
just waiting for you? My tractor may be small with a backhoe
but I have it ready to use if I need it and yes I move my tractor
with the backhoe no problem. For me a round trip to the rent it
shop is approx 30 miles and most of the time all the large equipment
is rented out and you have to wait in line to use one! My neighbor
had to wait 2 weeks just to rent a air hammer. For most of us its
not feasible to rent too time consuming. I like having my backhoe
where its handy to get to and I wouldn't care if it takes 2 hours to
hook it up. It takes me about 5 to 10 minutes to have it ready;.
Plenty fast for me as I am in no hurry! And every one's situation
is different. Perhaps a lot of us don't live near a big city with a
large rent it shop with a large selection of equipment Then again
I purchased the backhoe with the tractor so saved a few bucks
Sure glad I'm not in the market for a tractor or attachments now
with the jump in prices

willy

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #40  
Ok, so, back to the OP, you haven't specifically said what you need the back hoe for. Yep, snow, trees, garden, but nothing about the hoe. I dont think you will be happy with just a TLB, but I don't know. If we are talking about digging 10 ft basement foundations or cutting a walk out into a hill side, or constructing a driveway/access road through a hill, or removing mature tree stumps; that's one thing. If it's running a couple water lines, and general light work occasionally, that's a different thing.

What I guess I'm trying to get at, is scale, and frequency of use. For major work, a JD-310 TLB or JD-35 mini hoe are about the minimum size, and I don't think you will be happy or efficient with a utility tractor or compact tractor mounted back hoe attachment. If we are talking about some water lines, 4 ft retaining walls, and some ditches; I think a tractor mounted hoe will work; about equivalent to work you would do with a micro-mini hoe.

Don't know what they go for $, but a JD-110, the hoe on those will do more work than you think looking at a mini TLB, and fit a nice niche for routine water/sewer service installs, where you want/need the versatility of the loader, and some road mobility; and the expense of a bit slower than a mini hoe.

Your soil conditions also determine a lot of this; clay/rock/sand/water table issue; and without knowing those, in a general fashion, we can all offer bad advise.

We need to know if you plan on measuring your holes in CF, CY, or dump trucks

Last edited: