Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #931  
No I think our typical hydro oils are fine. I used 46.

They'd have no reason to redesign the entire systems to use mineral oil.
Some high end racing brakes yes. Inexpensive chinese excavators no.

Yes isn't actually very obvious like you'd think. But I just meant the double acting gear pumps supposedly have more flow when I mentioned 5gpm vs 9gpm. I think that may mean faster travel function also.

On weight- the manufacturer (still never weighed mine) is listing kv13plus (em15) as 1t weight (not 'operating weight') so I assume they are about 2200lb. There is no additional counterweight as you also saw, but there does have to be more weight in the 10-15% longer and wider base, which is actually where you want it anyway.
That's why I was hesitant to add the 250lbs of lead to rear of house, but have been impressed with the added balance.

Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #932  
Is it just me or aren't these things all over the place for about for $5K, or less, delivered?

Looked that way last week when I Googled "mini excavator".

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
No I think our typical hydro oils are fine. I used 46.

They'd have no reason to redesign the entire systems to use mineral oil.
Some high end racing brakes yes. Inexpensive chinese excavators no.

Most hydraulic oils could be called "mineral oils" in that they are derived from non-plant-based sources. Petroleum usually. Vegetable oils are not recommended for use here. In braking systems, the hydraulic oil is more like an alcohol (glycol ether).

Any common hyd fluid like ISO 46 is fine for our gear-pump excavators. Or ATF, or even motor oil. Tractor-hyd-fluid is better, but optimized to also work well with wet brakes and HST drives. It is nice to use an oil that does not foam readily and will emulsify the water you will inevitably get in there.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #934  
Yes you're right. I'm only familiar with 'mineral oil' by name in brake applications.
I then conflated dot fluid into my assumption about miner oil VS.

So oil is oil. I think the 32 and 46 numbers specify some added cleaning agents.

Attachments

• 9b2d24d5-0a56-49e8-812c-4bfa08ee1cbb.png
    9b2d24d5-0a56-49e8-812c-4bfa08ee1cbb.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 79
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #935  
Is it just me or aren't these things all over the place for about for $5K, or less, delivered?

Looked that way last week when I Googled "mini excavator".
Yes sir!

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #937  
Thanks guys. Autozone had free shipping so I have 5 gallons of AWS 46 coming to me so I can put new fluid in the machine when I add the extender inside the hydraulic tank.

Let's talk accessories!

Has anyone ordered or considered a plate compactor? I saw this on Leking's site:

They have a smaller version for the 1ton minis with specs that will fit my L12. They are asking $900 for it. I guess that is $100 cheaper than a brand new jumping jack stype compactor. I am doing a lot of slope work and gravel paths, so compaction is important. I'm considering putting an in order with Leking for that plus the ripper, narrow bucket, 500mm plane bucket and the mechanical quick hitch. They want $260 for shipping to the port of Los Angeles, $750 for "door to door" shipping.

Does anyone know how the plate compactor would connect to the L12? There is one accessory lever control that goes up and down. Seems like for the plate compactor you would more want an on/off switch and preferably a way to rig it so that you could have both hands free while it is on. I guess the auger would be a similar setup.

I looked at the rotary quick hitch:

They quoted me $800 for that and I am not sure what use I'd get out of it. I was thinking it could be useful with the plane bucket to help with paths on slopes.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #938  
I got an AGT L12 direct from AGT via a eBay sale and it was shipped to me for $5900 plus tax about 2 months ago. Originally I had a QH12 on order but changed to an L12 because the L has a hydraulic oil cooler and stronger canopy. Also the engine is more accessible from what I can see. It was the same price.

15 hours in and so far I’m happy. No leaks or major issues. The controls for the tracks keep wiggling loose. I want to find some better handles for them. I haven’t looked into where to order those.

I was surprised to get a call from AGT a week back. They sent me a part for free that extends the pump inlet into the hydraulic tank. It’s supposed to solve a “manufacturing defect” where the hydraulic system stops working when the machine is at a steep angle.

I’ll probably replace the hydraulic fluid when I add this part as I have to drain it anyway. Anyone have a recommendation for fluid? Should I use synthetic?

Many have added a proper filter but I’m hesitant to take that on right now.
If you haven't installed the extension for hydro tank, could you possibly get the dimensions for me? I bought an AGT L12 last week delivered in Ohio. A few days later I lost all hydraulic pressure when going down the ramp on my trailer. Hyd fluid was full, so I looked at the suction line on the tank. It is on the end at the lowest point possible. looks like a design flaw, and your post confirmed it. Thanks.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #939  
Let's talk accessories!
one of the utubers was playing with a 360 spin bucket - those are pretty interesting for backwards scoop and grading imo.

Unless having a 2nd aux plumbed (to use along with vibrator, hammer, mower etc) I wouldn't get much use with the tilt hitch. Would just get the cheaper tilt bucket setup or I really like the 360 bucket.
Already spending a couple K this go round so am waiting for now on the more expensive things that I'd use less of.
Vibrator/compactor? Pretty cool but I thought that was more for helping settle new road or constr site before concrete/paving. A trail or path I doubt I'd use it on? And of course- same as a hammer it would expedite wear on machine alot. If really needed one I'd prob be looking at a roller. Yep you could mod aux circuit for detent on/off but a bungee/strap/etc also works
I'd check weights of anything you're getting to test extra combined weight at end of boom, to make sure you're still happy with the balance.

That shipping is decent but must not include duty. If they're doing literally all other fees assoc with import I will insist they do full DDP. Can still pick up at warehouse to save that last delivery cost to door which is often a couple bills.
And something under a couple hundred lbs might as well check air freight too.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #940  
The extra length on the boom will really reduce the force that you can apply on the cutting edge of your bucket.