Buying Advice Diesel smog emission stuff?

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #111  
My LB7 Duramax oil stays super clean too. Its just because no emissions. 7.3 is emission free too but that HEUI injection puts the hurt on some oil. I use good oil in that and still change it between 3k and 4k. Modern emissions makes for some dirty oil, that you are right.
Every 5 on my 7.3 plus a pint of Nano-Borate. Always 5-40 T6.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #112  
I use a ton of DEF and buy it when it's on sale too. I usually buy 32 2.5 gallon jugs of it at a time. but it don't go in my engines because they are all pre 4.

I spray it on my alfalfa fields between cuts. DEF is Urea and deionized water and liquid urea is excellent fertilizer. I do cut it from 32% by volume to 28% prior to spraying. Much cheaper than 46 granulated today.

When I do buy it I always get questioned about why I buy so much at a time. I just smile and say nothing as people have no idea that it's an excellent and easy to apply fertilizer.
I've used it for same purpose, LOL I get it cheap from my local Freightliner/Western Star dealer now that I don't need it for trucks any more.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #113  
There were horror stories when the technology was first introduced, but in my opinion, it's the norm now. I had a Kubota 2620. I traded it for a John Deere 2038R because I wanted a bigger tractor. I've got almost 600 hours on the JD. It's run through several regens, and I've not had an issue. I'd suggest getting the size tractor you need and not worrying about it.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #114  
To me the big thing is your use case, for me I doo all short runs, I don't have archers of fields to brush hog. These emissions systems are designed for good high rpm long runs. I use my tractor primarily as a forklift. I fire it up, go move something heavy, then shut it off. I don't think my use case a DPF would live a normal lifespan. If you normally use the tractor all day bushhogging, plowing fields, etc. the DPF will probably be fine. Myself I went for the largest frame 25 HP tractor I could find and it is under powered, but you can do everything, just a bit slower.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #115  
To me the big thing is your use case, for me I doo all short runs, I don't have archers of fields to brush hog. These emissions systems are designed for good high rpm long runs. I use my tractor primarily as a forklift. I fire it up, go move something heavy, then shut it off. I don't think my use case a DPF would live a normal lifespan. If you normally use the tractor all day bushhogging, plowing fields, etc. the DPF will probably be fine. Myself I went for the largest frame 25 HP tractor I could find and it is under powered, but you can do everything, just a bit slower.
Exactly how we use our tractor. I have nothing to brush hog or plow or grade our tractor is used to move big heavy things from one side of our land to the other. I doubt I will ever have anything hooked to the PTO except maybe if we get a tiller. I have 200 7ft t posts coming tomorrow they will all get moved on pallets into the field with the tractor, it will take 15 minutes if that and the tractor will get shut off.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #116  
Exactly how we use our tractor. I have nothing to brush hog or plow or grade our tractor is used to move big heavy things from one side of our land to the other. I doubt I will ever have anything hooked to the PTO except maybe if we get a tiller. I have 200 7ft t posts coming tomorrow they will all get moved on pallets into the field with the tractor, it will take 15 minutes if that and the tractor will get shut off.

SInce you have a Mahindra 4540, you don't have a DPF to clog up. You just have a DOC, but I don't thing DOC's commonly clog up like DPFs.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #117  
I thought about the 25hp Kubota a couple years ago but opted for the lx3310. Great decision. Now after a couple years and several attachments, I wish I'd have gone to the L3901. Extra hp and slightly larger loader and a couple upgrades I didn't really need.I love my 3310 but when it comes to a couple of my attachments, a little more power could make a difference. Wood chipper WM8H could use a little more hp at the pto and the post and tree puller too. 3rd function add on is a must. The grapple works great and a couple times I could have used a little more power with the pallet forks. Either way, think of what you're doing with it and what attachments you'll use, the regen is not an issue for me. Just keep working and it's done in 15-20 minutes. I went w/o the cab, easier in the woods and the rhino roof keeps enough sun off me in the fields.
Hope this is helpful. I've benefitted from alot of sound advice this site offers. Good luck!

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #118  
My take: Anything under 50 HP is an overgrown lawnmower. If you have to cut grass and a 5 ft. Bush hog , go for it. I have a Kubota M7060. It is my Fourth upgrade in 45 years. I have gone from a large yard to 260 acres with 175 of it open pasture. The emissions change at 75 HP from particulate filter to DEF. Shuttle shift is the way to go. Kubota is a tough, dependable brand. Wide network of dealers who stock parts. Did I say stock parts, yes, stock parts @ available. I have heard several horror stories about “off” brand tractors and trying to get parts for them. I have taken my Kubotas to the shop one time in 45 years. Proper maintenance and don’t try to do things that the tractor is not capable of doing. Final thought: There is no substitute for horsepower.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #119  
When I first started thinking about buying my first tractor, my thoughts were to limit my search to all tractors with less than 25 or 26 (number varies, it seems) horsepower in order to avoid buying a new tractor with government dictated smog emission controls to have to deal with. Some people claim that they can be a real pain. Others are saying they are no big deal. So, what is the TRUTH?

Are some brands better than others in this department? I have been focused on probably buying a Kioti brand tractor, particularly the CK20SE CAB series, in which it appears all the models are pretty much identical except for the amount of horsepower the engine will put out. I guess it is a matter mostly of tuning and air/fuel control of that diesel engine making the difference. So I can choose to buy the 24.5 horsepower version, or perhaps the two other models with higher engine ratings (34.9 and 39.6 hp respectively), but having the onerous smog emission complexities attached.

Is this a big deal, or not? Headache, or not? Is it really something I should allow to influence my decision about what to buy?

Of course, another perspective of looking at this is: Will the difference of just 10.4 and 15.1 horsepower even worth fretting over and just buy the 24.5 horsepower version and be done with it?
I looked at the CK 2510's when I went shopping and decided on the extra 10 hsp. with the CK 3510 hst. Very glad I did. For me managing 32 acres and a long driveway blowing snow in the winter this works for me. Also bush hogging and dragging logs is no problems. Beet juice in the tires and chains for winter. I run the engine at recommended high revs and very rarely had I had to do a regen, and when I do I just keep the revs up and keep working. Finishing third year and no problems cept tightening few bolts and fixing rops lights and mirrors from coming too close to trees. Now that I said this, I'll probably go out to use it and the wheel will fall off or it won't start. LOL Knock on wood.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #120  
The DPF emissions gadgetry will fail and cause you to need to spend money to make it better or make it gone. Even if you operate the unit in accordance with recommendations - high rpm, hot, etc, - it will fail. Eventually. If you operate your unit as a UTILITY tractor, doing little chores here and there, that failure is likely happen sooner than later. If you operate your unit as a production tractor, working at close to rated max load for hours at a time, that failure may not happen as soon.

A turbocharger is not to be feared. DPF and catalytic converter WILL cause you $$$-hurt. Avoid if you can.