Buying Advice Diesel smog emission stuff?

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #101  
As a rule, I don't frequent powerstroke forums at all. Only forum I frequent is this one and a couple firearms forums and at least on those you can post political comments, unlike this one where you get your pee-pee slapped and posts deleted because this forum is run and moderated by liberals. Between the above and the censored words on here, sometimes I find this forum tedious at best.
You should join Thumper Talk forum for motorcycles. They are ALL professional motorcycle racers (with really bad grammar) and they frequently talk crap about all the factory employed racers, and they all can tell you everything those pro racers are doing wrong, how they can beat them and how they can better tune their bikes.
Yet I don't recognize any of their names when I watch professional racing on tv? Go figure.
They must all be using alias's in their pro racing lives. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #102  
Well, honestly, never played with a turbo on a diesel engine before. But I have a 2002 Corvette with twin turbos, and I certainly played around a LOT with tuning them in a gas engine environment. I fail to see how they could increase any emissions above what is normal. You still have to make sure the air/fuel mixture is correct across the rpm and load band they operate within. Which means you are in a plus air pressure (boost) instead of a vacuum that normally is seen by the intake of an engine. Running too rich or too lean is STILL too rich or too lean, regardless of whether you are in boost or in vacuum, which is not good for the engine.

That exhaust simply powers the impellers on one side of a shaft that drive the other side impellers that force outside cooler air into the intake. An engine is going to develop exhaust gases with or without the turbo in place. It is a very simple process, and I am surprised more vehicles don't use it.
You’re oversimplifying and obviously don’t understand the chemistry and physics of NOx formation.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #103  
You’re oversimplifying and obviously don’t understand the chemistry and physics of NOx formation.
I hate me some NOx. Best way to fix NOx is to remove DOC, TIG weld some SS tubing in its place and then block off your egr. Get that NOx out.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #104  
Quick comment on/about "sensors"... They're not just for emissions, they're for controlling fueling as well. With common rail manufacturers are using up to seven injection events per combustion cycle: I believe there's now a crystal-based injector that will be able to do even more events- VERY fast acting. This is how cleaner burns and more power happens. Yes, as with all things, efficiency is offset by an increase in complexity (sensor failures etc.): that said, however, less soot in engine oil actually does improve the longevity of basic engine internals.

Note that even w/o DPFs common rail engines can do some freakish things. I've experienced low fuel rail conditions (with an engine having the robust CP3 injection pump) that effectively shut the engine down; problematic in cars that are in traffic. Save the fuel pump, kill the driver- ha, um...

ALL my diesels are in-lines and ALL are extremely reliable (ranging from all mechanical to computer controlled with DPF).

My stance on all of this is that I want to see an entire lifecycle on all this stuff. I suspect that there's a lot of things that were "not seen" in order to make the "solutions" appear more favorable. Without measuring all of it we have no idea of the overall score.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #105  
I would much rather have the regen feature than have to add DEF.
I use a ton of DEF and buy it when it's on sale too. I usually buy 32 2.5 gallon jugs of it at a time. but it don't go in my engines because they are all pre 4.

I spray it on my alfalfa fields between cuts. DEF is Urea and deionized water and liquid urea is excellent fertilizer. I do cut it from 32% by volume to 28% prior to spraying. Much cheaper than 46 granulated today.

When I do buy it I always get questioned about why I buy so much at a time. I just smile and say nothing as people have no idea that it's an excellent and easy to apply fertilizer.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #107  
I must have excellent oil control and compression rings on both my Kubota's, because my engine oil is never black, just dark brown at change time. Could also be the absence of all the EPA mandated junk as well.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #108  
Have you considered buying it at the pump at a truck stop instead? Quite a bit cheaper than in boxes.
Actually, it's not when it's on sale and I only buy it on sale. Not sure a truck stop would cotton to me pumping 150 gallons of it at a shot either.

Just bought it at Menards on sale last week. $7.50 for 2.5 gallon jugs and still the 11% off deal as well. besides, the jugs make it easier to handle.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #109  
I must have excellent oil control and compression rings on both my Kubota's, because my engine oil is never black, just dark brown at change time. Could also be the absence of all the EPA mandated junk as well.
My LB7 Duramax oil stays super clean too. Its just because no emissions. 7.3 is emission free too but that HEUI injection puts the hurt on some oil. I use good oil in that and still change it between 3k and 4k. Modern emissions makes for some dirty oil, that you are right.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #110  
When 46% granulated is going for 50 bucks a sack (50 pounds), it's a brainless choice for me.