Buying Advice Diesel smog emission stuff?

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #191  
I had what as far as I recall was an 81 or 82 F250 with 400 ci engine and it was a great truck & engine.
Lots of torque when going up steep hills with a slide-in camper in the bed.

Must have taken Ford few years to figure it out.

It burned all the gas I put into tank...

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #192  
If they had mandated car emissions systems that required a burn off or would put the car into limp mode that could only be reset by a dealer, there would have been a heck of a lot of backlash.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #193  
This isn't the first time mandated emissions requirements have made things much worse for owners.

Back in the 1970s, my employer had a nice Ford with a 400 cubic inch motor that was one of the sorriest running engines I can recall driving despite the large displacement. They hadn't yet figured out how to build an emissions system that didn't rob an engine of performance. MPG wasn't great, either.
But they figured it out, didn’t they? That old 6.6l engine put out around 146 hp ( from memory) had open chamber heads and severely retarded cam timing, low compression, and a carburetor, but still put out probably five times the emissions the modern 6.2 l engine does. The 6.2 has efi, higher compression, gets two and a half times the mileage, three way catalysts, and electronic controls with feedback.You could probably ***** about the Model T being primitive, or air travel being impractical based on the Wright Brothers Kitty Hawk flight, too.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #194  
If they had mandated car emissions systems that required a burn off or would put the car into limp mode that could only be reset by a dealer, there would have been a heck of a lot of backlash.
All modern diesel cars have limp home mode, DPF regeneration, and SCR after treatment.

So do light and heavy duty Diesel trucks. So does construction equipment of any size.

So what’s the point?

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #195  
All modern diesel cars have limp home mode, DPF regeneration, and SCR after treatment.

So do light and heavy duty Diesel trucks. So does construction equipment of any size.

So what’s the point?
And it sucks pretty pure and simple.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #196  
And it sucks pretty pure and simple.
Not to mention the costs added to a new purchase and all the ensuing issues related strictly to the emissions systems.

I don't know anybody that runs diesel equipment that has not had a problem.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #197  
Don't buy 39 hp if you use only 24 of them. That's when you run into trouble with the aftertreatment. No matter which brand.
Keeping the Rpms above a certain point might help but it doesn't put any load on the engine to keep the systems happy.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #198  
Speaking as a 30 + year heavy/construction equipment mechanic.

When tier 4 came into full effect in 2014 I bit the bullet and bought a 2013 to avoid the added emissions equipment if that tells you anything.
Our time as techs in the last 8 years has went to probably half of our repair work is emission system related issues. What brand, or type of emission system used (DOC, EGR etc) all have issues.
Ive seen $250,000+ machines with less than 1000 hours on them be down for months for emission system issues, parts back ordered etc. Ive seen customer with machines less than 5 years old have shop bills of $10,000-20k due to emission equipment issues.
I personally have worked on brand new units with less than 5 hours on them with complete emissions system failures. All of this thru no fault of the user. The downtime and added expense of these systems is something I will never have.

One of the guys I do tractor work for owns a 5065 Deere thats about 3 years old. I run it when I work at his place. I will guarantee you it uses more than double the fuel than my 1976 265 Massey does. Id also bet that in 40 years that massey will still be going and that Deere wont be. Most manufacturers dont keep a endless supply of parts. iirc the dealer said 12-15 yrs of age and they stop producing replacement wiring harnesses for them. I could show a 8 yr old to completely rewire that Massey. Most adults couldnt rewire that new Deere. All it takes is one mouse or rat and that Deere becomes a boat anchor.
When I went to add a bigger tractor to my collection I searched and paid a premium price to find a pre emissions model unit in good shape. I could have gotten a 10 year newer model with emissions for about the same cost but i decided to go with the old school less to go wrong model.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #199  

When tier 4 came into full effect in 2014 I bit the bullet and bought a 2013 to avoid the added emissions equipment if that tells you anything.
Our time as techs in the last 8 years has went to probably half of our repair work is emission system related issues. What brand, or type of emission system used (DOC, EGR etc) all have issues.
Ive seen $250,000+ machines with less than 1000 hours on them be down for months for emission system issues, parts back ordered etc. Ive seen customer with machines less than 5 years old have shop bills of $10,000-20k due to emission equipment issues.
I personally have worked on brand new units with less than 5 hours on them with complete emissions system failures. All of this thru no fault of the user. The downtime and added expense of these systems is something I will never have.

One of the guys I do tractor work for owns a 5065 Deere thats about 3 years old. I run it when I work at his place. I will guarantee you it uses more than double the fuel than my 1976 265 Massey does. Id also bet that in 40 years that massey will still be going and that Deere wont be. Most manufacturers dont keep a endless supply of parts. iirc the dealer said 12-15 yrs of age and they stop producing replacement wiring harnesses for them. I could show a 8 yr old to completely rewire that Massey. Most adults couldnt rewire that new Deere. All it takes is one mouse or rat and that Deere becomes a boat anchor.
When I went to add a bigger tractor to my collection I searched and paid a premium price to find a pre emissions model unit in good shape. I could have gotten a 10 year newer model with emissions for about the same cost but i decided to go with the old school less to go wrong model.

Friends have also had a lot of issues with electronic controls. Especially a JCB that's a few years old owned by a local township. They've had a bunch of problems with emissions and controls. It's has a lot of downtime. No loaner to be had.
Neighbor has a Bobcat skid loader that the bucket would just randomly drop.
It was like that for many months, finally he told them to give him a new machine or reimburse him.