Aluminum equipment trailers.

/ Aluminum equipment trailers. #21  
The op is trying to haul at the very top end of the no CDL threshold which is my guess why he’s interested.
Isnt the CDL threshold 10k trailer gvw?

/ Aluminum equipment trailers. #22  
Isnt the CDL threshold 10k trailer gvw?

I certainly hope not, as I just bought a 12k steel trailer for my tractor. My understanding was that a GCWR of less than 26k does not require a CDL. My F250 is 10k GVWR, trailer 12k = 22k.

/ Aluminum equipment trailers. #23  
Here comes the endless CDL debate.

My unprofessional opinion: CDL limits are 10k for the trailer, OR 26k GCVWR, IF and ONLY IF you are transporting things commercially, IE for-hire, or for profit or as part of your commercial business. If you are just hauling your own equipment from place to place, you are fine.

/ Aluminum equipment trailers. #24  
Here comes the endless CDL debate.

My unprofessional opinion: CDL limits are 10k for the trailer, OR 26k GCVWR, IF and ONLY IF you are transporting things commercially, IE for-hire, or for profit or as part of your commercial business. If you are just hauling your own equipment from place to place, you are fine.
So you can tow a 11k trailer but only if your not making money?

/ Aluminum equipment trailers.
Oh boy. Most states follow the fed guidelines. If you pull to make money(even YouTubers fall into this) and your gvw/gvcw is 26001 you need a cdl. If you are not making money you can buy an 18 wheeler and go grocery shopping.
The confusion comes because a few states are more stringent than the fed laws. California and New York are 2, they require a cdl for trailers over 10k. It’s f’n stupid, but people get confused.
Now the cool thing is you only have to follow the rules of where your vehicle is registered. So I can pull a 14500lb trailer in California wile their own residents can’t.
For most of us we only need to adhere to the 26001 gvw/gcvw.

Also California makes their residents get an rv non commercial cdl.

This sounds like a bad combo for even a steel trailer. Riding things on the edge of the weight capacity isnt going to make for a trouble free piece of equipment.
Really? Lol
Capacity should always be break limit minus a good threshold. Nothing is ever engineered and sold at breaking threshold. That would be terrible.

The op is trying to haul at the very top end of the no CDL threshold which is my guess why he’s interested.
Within a few pounds. Last I scaled was 25900. Lime to be able and carry an extra bucket.