Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #141  
I like these for heavy construction debris

2021 PJ Trailers HD Low-Pro Dump (DE) 16' D188 | Fayette Trailers LLC

Last edited:
   / Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #142  
You can easily pull a GN behind a tractor
A 3pt trailer mover should hitch right up. But a 3pt trailer mover for a bumper pull can get you into a lot of trouble. On slopes or stopping hard they can lift the 3pt, drastically change the center of gravity & roll the tractor. Or the trailer can get stuck but the tractor keeps going, causing it to do a wheelie in a split second. Fine & plenty safe for moving a tractor around a flat yard at slow speed. Sketchy for a full load off road.

Always hitch a heavy trailer to the drawbar that's mounted below the axle. If the trailer gets stuck it pulls the whole machine into the ground. If the trailer is mounted above the axle, the rear of the tractor can drive right out from under the tractor & flip.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here.
Well, it’s the weekend. I fully admit not reading the whole 14 pages....

I have a curiosity here.
Why are you going brand new trailer?
Have you decided to go GN yet, or are you still on the fence?

I used to be an OTR driver trainer, 5th & GN are so much easier on my brain and anxiety. I have seen too many BP fiascos.

And are you also looking at brand new skid steer as well?

Im going to buy brand new for a couple reasons, get exactly what I want and I rarely see them for sale used around me. One popped up last night for sale but is was beat to hell and back.

I’m going to go with the gooseneck, seems to make more sense for the heavier loads, plus I have a 10K bumper pull tilt trailer for other stuff and I ca haul a smaller skid steer on that or whatever else I want.

The skid steer purchase will be down the road, all that’s up in the air for now.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #144  
Here’s a REALLY nice dump trailer for the OP

if he overloaded it once in a while, the axles, tires and hoist can handle it. The floor is extra tough for dropping rocks into.
Ouch....thats pricy

I would go with gooseneck and a 20ft dump that has 2ft sides like 7ftx20ft with 3 7k axles! If you go higher than 2ft sides do you have a loader that can reach and dump over 4ft into center of the trailer? With 3 axles the weight is spread out more front to back less goes onto the truck but enough to not be tail heavy! If you plan to get a skid steer and pull it in dump trailer you will probably be looking for a 1 ton soon afterwards! Plus difference between 14k and 21k is not much empty so it will be how you load it! I pulled a 20ft 21k bumper behind my 3/4 ton truck it was fine just have to drive with it in mind! Now have 1ton and gooseneck dump trailer that is 8ftx22ft with 4ft sides and 26k ! Look at the empty weight of those 14ft 14k trailers and see how much dirt or rocks that actually is! On my old 21k it can have about 15k loaded into it because it weights 6k empty if the 14k trailer weights 4 to 5k that's only 10k of dirt! So for every 2 trips in one its 3 in the other! Thats at 5mpg so all the extra trips add up fast!
Hope this helps good luck in deciding! J

Ive never pulled a triple axel trailer, guy at work had one and said he sold it shortly after. Said it wasn’t as easy to turn and back up as his other two axel trailers.

Here’s a REALLY nice dump trailer for the OP

if he overloaded it once in a while, the axles, tires and hoist can handle it. The floor is extra tough for dropping rocks into.

The ones I’m looking at are a bit lighter than that one, besides the crazy price I wouldn’t be gaining much over a 14k one.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #147  
The bumper pulls will go ALOT of places the GN simply wont. Narrow back roads, driveways need about a 35' approach to make the swing with a GN. Bumper pulls follow the truck path ALOT better. Dont have to worry as much about the trailer cutting a driveway short and crushing someones culvert or gashing trailer tires if its a galvanized culvert.

Dont know if GN dump trailers being shorter overall if there is as much difference as there is with longer equipment trailers? But I deliver quite a bit of firewood on the above dump trailer. And I have been in a few drives that it was tight even being a BP. If I had a GN.....not sure I would have made it.

I agree.

Propane tanks, their house, garage, trees, fence post, decoration stuff all in the way, railroad ties lining the driveway, about 9' wide with "S" curves.

To say a gooseneck will out maneuver a bumper pull is just not so. If you have 40 acres of wide open field, then yes, you can put a gooseneck anywhere.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #148  
Guess I'll throw my .02 cents worth in here.

#1 IIRC, a CDL is required if the GCWR is 26001 and over. I had a 2004 Dodge 3500 quad cab dually that had a GVW of 13500# and a 25' gooseneck flatbed with a GVW of 14000#. Even though I was not commercial, I would still had to have a CDL since my "total" GCVW was 27500#.

#2 If you go with a GN, consider having a fifth wheel pin installed on the trailer and using a 5th wheel RV style hitch. It is a lot easier to back into a 5th wheel than trying to line up to a ball in the bed that you can't see. Keep in mind that a large number of the 5th wheel style RV trailers have GVW's that are or exceed 18000#, so the hitch capacity won't be an issue.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #149  
The ones I’m looking at are a bit lighter than that one, besides the crazy price I wouldn’t be gaining much over a 14k one.
Did you see the 8kaxles/big brakes/17.5 wheels & tires and 6”hoist on that trailer? And a 7ga floor, too.
I don’t think a 14k is in the same league, but if you don’t need that heavy built of a trailer, I understand
I was under the impression you wanted a 16’, 16k and would love to break your bank account, so I figured WTH, right? Its built like a tank, though, so yeah>more $

Last edited:
   / Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #150  
I agree.

Propane tanks, their house, garage, trees, fence post, decoration stuff all in the way, railroad ties lining the driveway, about 9' wide with "S" curves.

To say a gooseneck will out maneuver a bumper pull is just not so. If you have 40 acres of wide open field, then yes, you can put a gooseneck anywhere.
Meh...that’s a bit of an overstatement. I cant get my GN in some pretty tight places.....just gotta know how/when to turn ;)

But it will not outmaneuver a BP all the time, for sure.