Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here.
One thing I forgot to mention is if I went 16 foot they do a spread axel design.

This is the biggest part. Don’t draw attention to yourself. In my experience, LEO’s tend to find what they like to do and stick to that. It’s also very regional, what is going to be important. Of course, complaints or other factors may push saturation of certain enforcement. Any corner you cut can bite you in the butt, if something goes bad. Luck plays a part, too.

Of the years I’ve been on the highway day in and day out hours on end out for work, I’ve rarely seen anybody messing with pickups pulling trailers around here. In a handful I think I’ve seen one or two hotshot guys where the law wanted to have a chat. DOT seems more concerned with commercial end dump tractor trailers around here. Luck of the draw I guess.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #83  
One thing I forgot to mention is if I went 16 foot they do a spread axel design.
What company is that? A 16' is pretty short, for a spread axle. I don't think I've ever seen a spread axle on that size dump trailer.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #85  
I hate spread axles. Had them on my 53’ step deck. When you back up you never know which axle is going to grab and which is going to slide which alters your course drastically. They are also hard on tires on turns. I have popped a tire off a rim on a sharp turn on concrete. Without air suspension you will not have equal loads on spread axles.

The advantage of a spread on a semi trailer is you can put 40k on it instead of the 34k you are limited to on a tandem. I see zero reason to get one on a smaller trailer.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #86  
What company is that? A 16' is pretty short, for a spread axle. I don't think I've ever seen a spread axle on that size dump trailer.
My 16' PJ has a slight spread, 12" I think. My 16' Lamar does not.

0516200721a.jpg
0213181146.jpg

I hate spread axles. Had them on my 53’ step deck. When you back up you never know which axle is going to grab and which is going to slide which alters your course drastically. They are also hard on tires on turns. I have popped a tire off a rim on a sharp turn on concrete. Without air suspension you will not have equal loads on spread axles.

The advantage of a spread on a semi trailer is you can put 40k on it instead of the 34k you are limited to on a tandem. I see zero reason to get one on a smaller trailer.

Fair enough, I wasn’t sold on the idea but figured I’d mention it. Guess it could be a pain like a triple axel trailer.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #88  
My 16' PJ has a slight spread, 12" I think. My 16' Lamar does not.

View attachment 695552View attachment 695553

Thanks, for posting that. If it’s something I have seen, it sure didn’t register. I’d like to read as much as you’re willing to share, comparing the two. Feel free to message me, so I don’t further derail @Jackstack76’s thread.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #89  
Beyond the DL and registration requirements, the GVWR is not listed in any Kansas Statutes, that I have seen. I can't speak to the other 49 States or any municipalities that choose to have more strict laws, except to state that Kansas law pretty much just follows the Federal guidelines. Many believe this means there is no enforcement action that can be taken against someone who has a trailer loaded more than the GVWR. It is possible for a LEO to present a case that going above what the manufacturer states is safe, ie the GVWR, is Reckless Driving.

Well, I have to call myself out.....in what can only be referred to as a massive brain fart, I provided incorrect information.

The quoted part is the part I FUBAR’d. Since 1974, Kansas has had a GVWR Statute. It’s KSA 08-1910.

Link:

8F30C415-9474-4060-9CAC-0529EB40E12B.png

Last edited:
   / Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #90  
I hate govt regulations and have said for years that the whole cdl vs no-cdl needs addressed.

It's crazy someone can legally tow a 14k trailer with about any 3/4 ton or several 20+ year old duallys. But simply upgrading to a modern dually and now all of the sudden you are heald to the same standards as someone running a tractor trailer and 80k pounds? Tell me how that makes sense?

If you are running interstate, hotshoting in a 40+ foot gn hauling 3-4 cars in a 4500/5500 truck.....I get it. But the landscapers or farmers or construction guys hauling mini excavators or skid loaders on a 14k trailer with a one ton....give me a break

Last edited: