Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #151  
The ones I’m looking at are a bit lighter than that one, besides the crazy price I wouldn’t be gaining much over a 14k one.
Here’s their 14k
7ga floor, 7k oil baths, dual jacks.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #152  
Im going to buy brand new for a couple reasons, get exactly what I want and I rarely see them for sale used around me. One popped up last night for sale but is was beat to hell and back.

I’m going to go with the gooseneck, seems to make more sense for the heavier loads, plus I have a 10K bumper pull tilt trailer for other stuff and I ca haul a smaller skid steer on that or whatever else I want.

The skid steer purchase will be down the road, all that’s up in the air for now.
Some of the dumps are only 80“ wide. That limits the skid seer front attachment width

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #153  
It seems bumper pulls doing better, in tight places, going forward. Goosenecks do better, in tight places, going backwards.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #154  
Meh...that’s a bit of an overstatement. I cant get my GN in some pretty tight places.....just gotta know how/when to turn ;)

But it will not outmaneuver a BP all the time, for sure.

Not really. If there is no room for the tow vehicle to steer the gooseneck you got a tough row to hoe. The slightest sideways front end movement on the tow vehicle will immediately steer the bumper pull, not happening on a gooseneck. It will need several feet of tow vehicle travel to steer the gooseneck trailer. And yes, I know when/how to handle a gooseneck.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #155  
Not really. If there is no room for the tow vehicle to steer the gooseneck you got a tough row to hoe. The slightest sideways front end movement on the tow vehicle will immediately steer the bumper pull, not happening on a gooseneck. It will need several feet of tow vehicle travel to steer the gooseneck trailer. And yes, I know when/how to handle a gooseneck.
Note I said “cant get my GN in some pretty tight places”
also, Referring to your 40 acres of field comment. I can work in an area a lot smaller than that. Lol

Last edited:
   / Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #156  
Note I said “cant get my GN in some pretty tight places”
also, Referring to your 40 acres of field comment. I can work in an area a lot smaller than that. Lol
Yes, I can too but reference the Dave Dudley song:D

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #157  
Guess I'll throw my .02 cents worth in here.

#1 IIRC, a CDL is required if the GCWR is 26001 and over. I had a 2004 Dodge 3500 quad cab dually that had a GVW of 13500# and a 25' gooseneck flatbed with a GVW of 14000#. Even though I was not commercial, I would still had to have a CDL since my "total" GCVW was 27500#.

#2 If you go with a GN, consider having a fifth wheel pin installed on the trailer and using a 5th wheel RV style hitch. It is a lot easier to back into a 5th wheel than trying to line up to a ball in the bed that you can't see. Keep in mind that a large number of the 5th wheel style RV trailers have GVW's that are or exceed 18000#, so the hitch capacity won't be an issue

#2....really uncommon. Hitch adds extra cost....and is a PITA if you arent already a camper person. Hogs up bed space. Cannot just unhook and have an empty bed. Gotta pull the heavy hitch out....and still have the rails. I have had two extended cab dodge trucks....both I could see the GN ball from the drivers seat. Simple to hook up. And if not....a $50 Chinese backup cam is less hassle and cheaper than dealing with a 5th wheel hitch. Just my 2 cents

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #158  
#2....really uncommon. Hitch adds extra cost....and is a PITA if you arent already a camper person. Hogs up bed space. Cannot just unhook and have an empty bed. Gotta pull the heavy hitch out....and still have the rails. I have had two extended cab dodge trucks....both I could see the GN ball from the drivers seat. Simple to hook up. And if not....a $50 Chinese backup cam is less hassle and cheaper than dealing with a 5th wheel hitch. Just my 2 cents
Or the twin tennis balls on magnet antennas? (In case they have a big cross bed toolbox etal)

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #159  
Almost all newer trucks now have factory 5th wheel/ GN prep with added cameras in the third brake light to see the GN ball. I back up to my GN alone in one attempt every time using the factory camera.

I have a 14" bumper pull, my next will be a GN triple 7 dump, but I don't expect to need to mess with the CDL crap or combined registration. I'm in an area that doesn't mess with you, and I don't see me needing to leave my area. I think a lot of the determination depends on where you live and how the police do or don't look for that stuff.

Last edited:
   / Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #160  
Wanting to buy a dump trailer, I’ve wanted one for a while as it would be handy. My buddies and I could have used one many times for various things. I’m also humoring some sort of side hustle if I get one. I have a newer 3/4 ton Silverado gas truck with the 6.0 and 4:10’s out back. If I buy one I’m just going to go for one in the 14k trim.

I see a lot of guys pulling these things and nine times out of ten they’re a bumper pull. Toss a skid steer in one and unless you’ve got a one ton Dually I see a lot of these trucks with the front end reaching for the moon. Obviously they cold have loaded it a little tongue heavy ect.

I don’t have a skid steer but that’s another purchase down the road. That said I do have a 20 foot bumper pull electric tilt speedloader in 10k trim so that’s probably more ideal for hauling/loading/unloading a skid steer.

What I’m torn on is if I should go 12 or 14 foot. Should I go for the gooseneck? I’ve never pulled a gooseneck before, I get the obvious pros and cons to one. With my truck now it’s rated for 14k which I think is a stretch for it being a gas truck. Just seems if you loaded a 14k dump trailer to the max with a bumper pull that might get sketchy especially with such a short trailer.

Price wise I’m another 675$ to go gooseneck, drop in the bucket compared to the price of the trailer already. If a guy could have both bumper pull and a gooseneck that would be great but that’s not a option for now. I should also add I don’t have a gooseneck hitch in my truck so I’ll be out another 600$ or so for that.

Just need some guidance thanks in advance!
I have a 12 ft 12k trailer and when I was shopping for one I had to consider empty weight of the trailer and the weight of the load you can put in when you go to a 14k trailer the empty weight goes up so it's not like you can actually put another 2000lbs in it