Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #1  

Jackstack76

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub cadet
Wanting to buy a dump trailer, I’ve wanted one for a while as it would be handy. My buddies and I could have used one many times for various things. I’m also humoring some sort of side hustle if I get one. I have a newer 3/4 ton Silverado gas truck with the 6.0 and 4:10’s out back. If I buy one I’m just going to go for one in the 14k trim.

I see a lot of guys pulling these things and nine times out of ten they’re a bumper pull. Toss a skid steer in one and unless you’ve got a one ton Dually I see a lot of these trucks with the front end reaching for the moon. Obviously they cold have loaded it a little tongue heavy ect.

I don’t have a skid steer but that’s another purchase down the road. That said I do have a 20 foot bumper pull electric tilt speedloader in 10k trim so that’s probably more ideal for hauling/loading/unloading a skid steer.

What I’m torn on is if I should go 12 or 14 foot. Should I go for the gooseneck? I’ve never pulled a gooseneck before, I get the obvious pros and cons to one. With my truck now it’s rated for 14k which I think is a stretch for it being a gas truck. Just seems if you loaded a 14k dump trailer to the max with a bumper pull that might get sketchy especially with such a short trailer.

Price wise I’m another 675$ to go gooseneck, drop in the bucket compared to the price of the trailer already. If a guy could have both bumper pull and a gooseneck that would be great but that’s not a option for now. I should also add I don’t have a gooseneck hitch in my truck so I’ll be out another 600$ or so for that.

Just need some guidance thanks in advance!

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #2  
I have a bumper pull because I don’t have any vehicles with a GN but it’s riding close to 1k on the hitch empty. Add any load and you’ll really be feeling the sag with a 2500. My trailer is 14’ foot and it’s about the minimum length for putting a skid steer in. I also have a 20’ equipment trailer and it’s leaps and bounds better for putting equipment on.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #3  
Wanting to buy a dump trailer, I’ve wanted one for a while as it would be handy. My buddies and I could have used one many times for various things. I’m also humoring some sort of side hustle if I get one. I have a newer 3/4 ton Silverado gas truck with the 6.0 and 4:10’s out back. If I buy one I’m just going to go for one in the 14k trim.

I see a lot of guys pulling these things and nine times out of ten they’re a bumper pull. Toss a skid steer in one and unless you’ve got a one ton Dually I see a lot of these trucks with the front end reaching for the moon. Obviously they cold have loaded it a little tongue heavy ect.

I don’t have a skid steer but that’s another purchase down the road. That said I do have a 20 foot bumper pull electric tilt speedloader in 10k trim so that’s probably more ideal for hauling/loading/unloading a skid steer.

What I’m torn on is if I should go 12 or 14 foot. Should I go for the gooseneck? I’ve never pulled a gooseneck before, I get the obvious pros and cons to one. With my truck now it’s rated for 14k which I think is a stretch for it being a gas truck. Just seems if you loaded a 14k dump trailer to the max with a bumper pull that might get sketchy especially with such a short trailer.

Price wise I’m another 675$ to go gooseneck, drop in the bucket compared to the price of the trailer already. If a guy could have both bumper pull and a gooseneck that would be great but that’s not a option for now. I should also add I don’t have a gooseneck hitch in my truck so I’ll be out another 600$ or so for that.

Just need some guidance thanks in advance!
I currently have a 20' bumper pull equipment trailer (with Equal-i-zer hitch), because my tow vehicle is now a K2500 Suburban.
When I had an F250 P/U I had a gooseneck.
Gooseneck all the way for me!
There is no comparison!

Last edited:
   / Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #4  
I currently have a 20' bumper pull, because my tow vehicle is a K2500 Suburban.
There is no comparison!

In my experience the 2500 suburbans and excursions are more like a 5/8 ton and not equal to a 250 truck probably further skewing your test but I agree a GN definitely handles better than BPs.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here.
I have a bumper pull because I don’t have any vehicles with a GN but it’s riding close to 1k on the hitch empty. Add any load and you’ll really be feeling the sag with a 2500. My trailer is 14’ foot and it’s about the minimum length for putting a skid steer in. I also have a 20’ equipment trailer and it’s leaps and bounds better for putting equipment on.

Seems the axles are pretty far back on these things when you go 14 foot, the 16 foot ones look worse. They look more proportioned with a 12 foot one, I’m wondering if that would help the tongue weight with the shorter trailer? Or is my thought process off here?

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #6  
Seems the axles are pretty far back on these things when you go 14 foot, the 16 foot ones look worse. They look more proportioned with a 12 foot one, I’m wondering if that would help the tongue weight with the shorter trailer? Or is my thought process off here?

I’m thinking the logic is you need to load the trailers back heavy so they’ll dump and the rearward placed axels balance better like that.

I’m thinking the logic is you need to load the trailers back heavy so they’ll dump and the rearward placed axels balance better like that.
Fair enough, makes me think a gooseneck might be the better option for the tongue weight aspect.

I currently have a 20' bumper pull equipment trailer (with Equal-i-zer hitch), because my tow vehicle is a K2500 Suburban.
There is no comparison!

Does a gooseneck jerk as bad as a bumper pull?

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #9  
Does a gooseneck jerk as bad as a bumper pull?
No, the gooseneck is far smoother riding than a bumper pull.
I have a 7k 16' utility trailer and a 14k 16' dump trailer.
I was concerned about the axle placement and putting to much weight on the truck since the dump axles are farther back than on the utility trailer but it works out well. The GN trailer tracks well and is smooth riding, much better than a bumper pull.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #10  
I have owned dozen of trailers over the years. Bumper pull trailers are a lot easier to hook and unhook but that is about the only advantage they have over a gooseneck. I have a 7x14 14k Lamar gooseneck dump trailer and really like it. I put my skid steer in it once (way overloaded) for a five mile trip and it worked fine. If you are going with a 14k trailer I would strongly recommend a gooseneck. Heavy bumper pull loads behind light trucks are scary.

As to length I really like the 14’ but definitely wouldn’t get longer. a few years back I had a 16’ dump and it was far to easy to overload it to the point it wouldn’t lift. The 12’s seem too small to fit various things in and the 14’s seem just about perfect. I haven’t used the dump feature or hauled any dirt/gravel with mine in about six months but I have used it a ton hauling other things. Last week I used it to pick up a grain drill 300 miles away, the week before that I hauled two tons of deer corn to the ranch, I haul my UTV in it a lot, I have even stuffed a army truck in the bed once.