zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass
I have a JD zero turn and the drive wheels are fine, it's the little wheels on the deck that gouge my yard up. Anyone else have deck wheels that cut into the lawn with their zero turn?
Sounds like you either got to raise your deck height a little when mowing, and/or raise the height of the deck anti-gouge wheels (if you got that adjustment on your mower).

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #32  
So guys, loosely related to this topic kind of...anybody got industrial tires mounted on your zero turns?
Not industrial, but I have bar turf (ATV and small CUT) tires on mine.
I've never seen industrial type tires small enough for a CUT or ZTR

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #33  
Yeh that's the one, there's a pic of it on the first page of this thread.
Well I looked at the first page again and there is no picture of a standup zero turn mower. Exactly what post number are you referring to ?

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #34  
Interesting about the stand-up mower. I can see where much more weight is put on the drive wheels, which may be what causes your problem. I've never experienced divoting in my Toro zero-turn with a seat, which more evenly distributes the weight.

Plus when I'm mowing an open lawn I generally go around the house once to get a couple-foot-wide path, then come at it at a 90-degree angle, say from paved the parking area to the house, dividing the lawn into two or four segments so that I'm actually driving a continuous rectangle rather than adjacent rows. I love that mower! It's only flaw is going down a steep slope at the back of the house, with the risk of running into a tree or a bit of granite ledge from the last Ice Age. We should have put a swimming pool there, to get rid of the sharp drop.

I should draw you a diagram, but let's say the front lawn is 80 feet wide. Okay, I divide it into two segments. Starting from the parking area, I first mow at 20 feet, turn right at the house, go to the end and turn right, drive along the parking area to the unmowed lawn just beyond my first cut and turn right, drive to the house and turn right. Rinse and repeat. In about eight minutes I have mowed the first 40-foot width, then I do the next one and the front lawn is done. The sides and the back lawn each take about the same time, so call it three-quarters of an hour all in.

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #35  
Well I looked at the first page again and there is no picture of a standup zero turn mower. Exactly what post number are you referring to ?
It's the second post on page 1. Here's another pic:

PXL_20211013_230121684.jpg

Roy, yeh around here most commercial operations are switching over to stand-on mowers. I don't mean to age you, so don't mean you specifically...but in general if you're an older fella that don't do well on their feet for extended periods, these ain't right for you. Or lets say it's just long flat fields to mow, probably better to chill on a seat. Otherwise, standers are better in every way, including way more fun.

Interesting about the stand-up mower. I can see where much more weight is put on the drive wheels, which may be what causes your problem. I've never experienced divoting in my Toro zero-turn with a seat, which more evenly distributes the weight.

Plus when I'm mowing an open lawn I generally go around the house once to get a couple-foot-wide path, then come at it at a 90-degree angle, say from paved the parking area to the house, dividing the lawn into two or four segments so that I'm actually driving a continuous rectangle rather than adjacent rows. I love that mower! It's only flaw is going down a steep slope at the back of the house, with the risk of running into a tree or a bit of granite ledge from the last Ice Age. We should have put a swimming pool there, to get rid of the sharp drop.

I should draw you a diagram, but let's say the front lawn is 80 feet wide. Okay, I divide it into two segments. Starting from the parking area, I first mow at 20 feet, turn right at the house, go to the end and turn right, drive along the parking area to the unmowed lawn just beyond my first cut and turn right, drive to the house and turn right. Rinse and repeat. In about eight minutes I have mowed the first 40-foot width, then I do the next one and the front lawn is done. The sides and the back lawn each take about the same time, so call it three-quarters of an hour all in.
Nah there's no problem, just changing how I do turns. As for mowing patterns, I go a few passes with the chute facing away from where I don't want clippings (hence having to clean them up, ie, the road, patio, etc), then it's mostly back/forth passes in blocks. I got lots of trees, obstacles, and uneven terrain, so I got lots of different blocks I do. I mow around 2 acres of that, it takes me around 2.5 hrs.

Last edited:
   / zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #38  
It is a skill to learn. Have to think like a differential in an axle. When turning, have to slightly reverse one side while other side is turning forward.

I can go back and forth turning 180 at each end and not scuff the turf. Have had 2 different ZTR and have used several others in the past few decades. First ZTR I ever used was a Great Dane (defunct brand).

CT

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #39  
It's the second post on page 1. Here's another pic:

View attachment 765036

Roy, yeh around here most commercial operations are switching over to stand-on mowers. I don't mean to age you, so don't mean you specifically...but in general if you're an older fella that don't do well on their feet for extended periods, these ain't right for you. Or lets say it's just long flat fields to mow, probably better to chill on a seat. Otherwise, standers are better in every way, including way more fun.
I am an older guy (72) and I ain't too proud to set on my ass when mowing. Plus, a bad leg (stroke 22 years ago).
Don't think it's just older guys...there's a lot of younger to middle-age that probably couldn't stand long enough to mow 2-3 acres.
Stand-on mowers may be popular with commercial mowing...don't see them being too popular with most home users

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #40  
are there any limited slip axle set ups in the newer zero turn mowers to avoid skids? seems to me it would be a given, bet they show up in e mower technology