zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #1  

GeneV

Elite Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
Guys, last fall was my first time with the stander mower, never had a zero-turn before, and quickly learned that zero-turn doesn't mean I SHOULD zero turn coz it tears up the turf. What I mean is you know mow one direction, turn around for the next pass opposite direction. So off to youtube I went, watched a bunch of vids on turning, especially landscaper vids, and see everybody does the 3 point turn or K turn.

So that's how I've been doing it all year so far, and then yesterday I "discovered" that if I do a zero-turn turn, but reverse the direction of the tire on which the mower pivots on (as opposed to keeping it stationary), there's no damage to the turf. I finished mower that way, and it was totally fine. So now I'm perplexed why isn't that done that way? What am I missing here?

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass
Also, here's my new method for getting under the deck to scrape it out, I just drive the mower up my mountain of branches lol. It works.

PXL_20220930_211855692.jpg

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #3  
Guys, last fall was my first time with the stander mower, never had a zero-turn before, and quickly learned that zero-turn doesn't mean I SHOULD zero turn coz it tears up the turf. What I mean is you know mow one direction, turn around for the next pass opposite direction. So off to youtube I went, watched a bunch of vids on turning, especially landscaper vids, and see everybody does the 3 point turn or K turn.

So that's how I've been doing it all year so far, and then yesterday I "discovered" that if I do a zero-turn turn, but reverse the direction of the tire on which the mower pivots on (as opposed to keeping it stationary), there's no damage to the turf. I finished mower that way, and it was totally fine. So now I'm perplexed why isn't that done that way? What am I missing here?
That's exactly how we prevent tearing up the lawn...always keep all wheels (especially the rear tires) turning

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #4  
It isn't done that way because the average employee is not careful or skilled enough to smoothly get the inside tire reversed while keeping the outside wheel slowly turning forward.
I will admit I do K style turns sometimes - usually on wet turf or when on a slope. I think the biggest technique missed is to vary where you turn so the same spot isn't always under pressure.

That's exactly how we prevent tearing up the lawn...always keep all wheels (especially the rear tires) turning
What's up Roy. So you mean you do it like I just discovered, outside wheel turning forward and inside wheel turning reverse? Or you mean you do 3 point turns?

For clarity (for those who don't use zero turn mowers), here's the conventional advised way to to turn on these things:

Duplicate, sorry

It isn't done that way because the average employee is not careful or skilled enough to smoothly get the inside tire reversed while keeping the outside wheel slowly turning forward.
I will admit I do K style turns sometimes - usually on wet turf or when on a slope. I think the biggest technique missed is to vary where you turn so the same spot isn't always under pressure.
So is that all that is, lack of skill in coordinating the 2 wheels turning in opposite directions? It's not as though doing a 3pt turn is risk free for the lawn either though...learning curve to slow down properly, not reverse direction too fast, etc.

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #8  
So is that all that is, lack of skill in coordinating the 2 wheels turning in opposite directions? It's not as though doing a 3pt turn is risk free for the lawn either though...learning curve to slow down properly, not reverse direction too fast, etc.

I believe so. I've got many thousands of hours on zt mowers, and there is definitely skill and coordination involved. True about slowing down properly... Even without sliding to a stop, stopping too fast is hard on the turf.

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #9  
There are few other variables involved in turning.
Size of mower. I have noticed smaller home owner spin the wheels much easier than larger commercial style mowers.

Is there any suspension. Mowers with pivoting tag axles turn much easier than rigid frame mower.

Tire type: neighbor has an older Dixie Chopper with aggressive tires that is next to impossible to turn without tearing up the lawn.

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #10  
What's up Roy. So you mean you do it like I just discovered, outside wheel turning forward and inside wheel turning reverse? Or you mean you do 3 point turns?

For clarity (for those who don't use zero turn mowers), here's the conventional advised way to to turn on these things:

Well, doesn't the K or 3 point turn kill the old "zero turns cut your mowing time in half because you aren't spending time turning around." selling point??

That's the exact same way I used to turn my riding mower around, and, the same way I turn my articulated machine around and the end of a run.

I agree that the best way to avoid making those turn marks in your lawn is to never skid a wheel. That takes finesse.