Zero-Turn Mowers (is there a separate topic, thread)

/ Zero-Turn Mowers (is there a separate topic, thread) #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
Good Morning,

Having taken a look at the yard, after weeks of rain, I have a bit of catching up to do.
Given the unexpected horse fencing and other obstacles that have surfaced on the yard since I bought the Kubota BX23S and Land Pride rotary cutter mower, there is now no practical way to maintain the mowing, radiuses are too tight etc.
I need a ride-on mower (open deck, or pedestal style steering) that is easy for me to climb on / off.
I am now giving some serious thought on a used Cub Cadet RZT-S 50 zero turn. It is at the local agri repair place, and personally owned by the business owner. I believe that it is a 2016 model, 23 hp, with 300 hrs approx, 50 inch 3 blade mower deck, no taxes (personal sale). I saw it yesterday (while looking for other types), and I think it can work. He is willing to customize any fabricating for me if needed. He is asking $3000 Cdn, and I think that is reasonable given that the new models are about $7500 - $8000.

My yard is NOT a golf course
My yard is not landscaped evenly - so the machine would get a workout :)
My intended budget was much less (for something completely different)

Is this model capable of uneven, rough spaces, tall grass etc - would love some advice. I am tired of not being able to get the job done, due to circumstances that I do not control.

cheers

/ Zero-Turn Mowers (is there a separate topic, thread) #2  
don't know the make but think you're on the right track choosing a zero turn. if the mower has been taken care of as you mention, at that price you'd be saving a lot. that's about the price of the worthless box store troy built, etc. you'll be getting a whole lot mower.
i would recommend posting also in the lawn & garden equip forum for that brand. you'll prob get a lot of feedback in this forum. ask if the owner has a service log. & suggest changing the hyd fluid w/filter(s). most zero turns recommend 15/50 Mobil 1 syn. plus the usual engine filter/oil change & air filter.

also suggest investing in an impact wrench to pull the blades for service. very important. obviously you'll want to check the belts' condition. happy hunting

Last edited:
   / Zero-Turn Mowers (is there a separate topic, thread) #3  
Sounds perfect for the job and priced right. 300 hours is hardly broken in.

/ Zero-Turn Mowers (is there a separate topic, thread)
Thank You Big Bubba,

I copied the post to the Cub Cadet forum (found it), but I don't know how to just transfer the post over ... so it will be seen here, and there.

/ Zero-Turn Mowers (is there a separate topic, thread) #5  
Thank You Big Bubba,

I copied the post to the Cub Cadet forum (found it), but I don't know how to just transfer the post over ... so it will be seen here, and there.
copy & paste text?

yes, that's what I did

/ Zero-Turn Mowers (is there a separate topic, thread) #7  
A zero-turn mower can be a great option for mowing especially if you have a lot of obstacles to mow around. However, whether a particular model will be capable or well-suited for a bumpy, hilly property with long grass is entirely dependent upon the features of the model. If your property is bumpy and the zero-turn doesn't have any suspension you may be relegated to mowing very slowly. The deck design and engine HP would influence whether it would handle long grass well. Some models do better on hills/slopes that others and a lot of that depends on the tires and steering design.

In short, there are a lot of things to consider to determine whether this model zero-turn will be well suited for you. Ask the seller if you can borrow it to try out on your property.

I had another good look at that zero turn today, and spoke with the owner's family / seller. It is actually a 2012 Cub Cadet RZT S 50 25 hp, 50 inch mower deck, 3 blades. approx 300 hrs. Turf tires. They call it a Zero Turn Rider.

We negotiated a deal for $2000.00 plus $200.00 for some custom fabrication (hand controls for brakes / direction, and grab bar for ease of entry). Total $2200.00

I hadn't planned on such an expense right now, but for that price it is worth getting the yard better maintained. The fabrication may take a week or so, and that is fine. I think they will also deliver it for me.

I'll probably buy agri tires for the rear, next year

Last edited:
   / Zero-Turn Mowers (is there a separate topic, thread) #9  
I love my kubota zd21, it's virtually flawless. 60" deck, 3 blade, 21hp diesel, extremely smooth hydraulic movement. Well built machine, the only thing that I wish it had was suspension on the rear wheels. The area I mow is bumpy, I have a 1000lb roller that I roll with, but I still can't hit top speed with the mower for fear of breaking an axle. I know where most of the holes are and where the smooth spots are, but a bit of suspension would be nice.

/ Zero-Turn Mowers (is there a separate topic, thread) #10  
The RTZ 50 does a good job if it is more of a residential yard, so cut often and try to smooth the yard out. I sold off my RTZ 50 and replaced it with a ZD1211 60". I cut about 2 acres and sometimes it gets high between cuts. I use the ZD1211 in Bush Hog mode, cut it at 6" and then lower it down to 3 1/2".