zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #21  
Guys, last fall was my first time with the stander mower, never had a zero-turn before, and quickly learned that zero-turn doesn't mean I SHOULD zero turn coz it tears up the turf. What I mean is you know mow one direction, turn around for the next pass opposite direction. So off to youtube I went, watched a bunch of vids on turning, especially landscaper vids, and see everybody does the 3 point turn or K turn.

So that's how I've been doing it all year so far, and then yesterday I "discovered" that if I do a zero-turn turn, but reverse the direction of the tire on which the mower pivots on (as opposed to keeping it stationary), there's no damage to the turf. I finished mower that way, and it was totally fine. So now I'm perplexed why isn't that done that way? What am I missing here?
I do one of two methods. First, I make a lot of 3 point turns. Secondly, I divide the property into long rectangles. Then I cut the long sides only, making wide sweeping turns on the short sides. Yup, pivoting on a tire will do a divot (that's what a lot of folks call it).
You aren't missing a thing.

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #22  
I think it is impossible to mow without doing it from time to time. Mowing when the ground is soft increases the degree of difficulty.
My wife's steering wheel ZTR never tears up the lawn, damp or not,
what brand has a steering wheel? thx

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #23  
what brand has a steering wheel? thx
I know Cub Cadet has at least one zero turn with steering wheel because Mom’s neighbor has one. I suspect there are probably a few other brands.
I didn’t realize the steering wheel could make one wheel turn in reverse for sharp turns, that’s very interesting.

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #24  
Guys, last fall was my first time with the stander mower, never had a zero-turn before, and quickly learned that zero-turn doesn't mean I SHOULD zero turn coz it tears up the turf. What I mean is you know mow one direction, turn around for the next pass opposite direction. So off to youtube I went, watched a bunch of vids on turning, especially landscaper vids, and see everybody does the 3 point turn or K turn.

So that's how I've been doing it all year so far, and then yesterday I "discovered" that if I do a zero-turn turn, but reverse the direction of the tire on which the mower pivots on (as opposed to keeping it stationary), there's no damage to the turf. I finished mower that way, and it was totally fine. So now I'm perplexed why isn't that done that way? What am I missing here?

Skip to 20:33 in this video to see them describe how to do a true zero turn on a Walker mower. They also discuss how to avoid damaging turf. I have a year 2000 model with about 1200 hours. I sure wish I could afford the mower in the video but I would like automatic high lift dump and easy adjust deck and I bet it's about $18,000 msrp.

Kevin

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #25  
I have a JD zero turn and the drive wheels are fine, it's the little wheels on the deck that gouge my yard up. Anyone else have deck wheels that cut into the lawn with their zero turn?

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass

Skip to 20:33 in this video to see them describe how to do a true zero turn on a Walker mower. They also discuss how to avoid damaging turf. I have a year 2000 model with about 1200 hours. I sure wish I could afford the mower in the video but I would like automatic high lift dump and easy adjust deck and I bet it's about $18,000 msrp.

Kevin
At 20:48 he's almost there, but he still kinda does a 3 point turn, no? But then he's got that big thing in the back, I guess it's harder to line up perfectly for the next pass, as opposed to on a stander mower.

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #27  
I have a JD zero turn and the drive wheels are fine, it's the little wheels on the deck that gouge my yard up. Anyone else have deck wheels that cut into the lawn with their zero turn?

Are the gauge wheels adjusted correctly? Generally they should be 3/4" off the ground with the deck lowered.
I have noticed that mine will occasionally gouge the turf in a turn when the deck wheels are worn past their useful life. I think they do that because they become flatter when worn.

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #28  
At 20:48 he's almost there, but he still kinda does a 3 point turn, no? But then he's got that big thing in the back, I guess it's harder to line up perfectly for the next pass, as opposed to on a stander mower.
You have used the words “stander mower” several times in this thread and I’m not sure what you mean by stander ? At first I thought maybe you were talking about one of those zero turn mowers where there is no seat so you just stand on the backend on a platform to operate it.

You have used the words “stander mower” several times in this thread and I’m not sure what you mean by stander ? At first I thought maybe you were talking about one of those zero turn mowers where there is no seat so you just stand on the backend on a platform to operate it.
Yeh that's the one, there's a pic of it on the first page of this thread.

So guys, loosely related to this topic kind of...anybody got industrial tires mounted on your zero turns?