zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass
Well, doesn't the K or 3 point turn kill the old "zero turns cut your mowing time in half because you aren't spending time turning around." selling point??

That's the exact same way I used to turn my riding mower around, and, the same way I turn my articulated machine around and the end of a run.

I agree that the best way to avoid making those turn marks in your lawn is to never skid a wheel. That takes finesse.
I mean to a degree, right? I will say though even with making 3 pt turns it's faster, but definitely not half the time. Either way, personally I got the stander mower primarily coz my back was taking a pounding mowing on a tractor.

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #12  
I'm new to the zero also, and yes, if you slow down, and just ever so slightly reverse one wheel while forward with the other, you can keep from having the ground in grass pivot point.

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass
See that, here's another guy like me. My friends, are we slaves or are we free men? Is it not time to cast off the chains of the 3 point turn? Must we forever toil our grassed fields with such archaic methods like the K-turn? NO, I say! In fact, I declare give me zero-turn liberty or...I guess keep mowing like on a riding mower, as Moss said. Hmm.

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #15  
Zero turn basically means it can turn inside its own radius, i.e. if the operator is good enough you can turn it around its center and no part of it will extend outside the radius of that part from the center. While this may not mean much for some it allows you to get into very tight spaces- no larger than the mower diagonal measurement - and then turn around and get out of them. Very handy because when you turn in this tight space you are going
the correct direction when you come out and and can just keep going.

You can turn much faster than with other mowers - < 1 second on 180 degree turn which is impossible on other mowers - so you stay in the cut a much higher percentage of the time. The tight turning radius also minimizes trimming that needs done.

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #16  
1. change your mowing patterns regularly to prevent making turn tracks permanent
2. use a zamboni ice clearing pattern so you can make bigger gentle turns and maintain speed

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #17  
1. change your mowing patterns regularly to prevent making turn tracks permanent
2. use a zamboni ice clearing pattern so you can make bigger gentle turns and maintain speed

True.
I've tried various patterns to make larger radius turns, but the resulting patterns do not work with my ocd requirements. Whatever angle or wave pattern I'm cutting, I like alternating stripes. To move the zero turn point I vary the number of perimeter cuts, which works well also.
Same idea though... Vary where the machine turns.

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #18  
I think it is impossible to mow without doing it from time to time. Mowing when the ground is soft increases the degree of difficulty.

/ zero-turn mower, turning around w/o wrecking the grass #20  
That's exactly how we prevent tearing up the lawn...always keep all wheels (especially the rear tires) turning
By slowing down slightly, and having one drive wheel going opposite to the other and not Full Pull on steering handles it can be quickly mastered. The 3 point turn is a huge waste of time. Might as well do the lawn in 'lands' and only make a 90° turn.