Zero turn mower advice

/ Zero turn mower advice #21  
I bought a snapper, 60” cut zeroturn i550 I think about 6 years ago. It has a Kawasaki comm engine, and zt3100 drive motors. I cut 3 acres, and it does great.

But, it is a lawn mower, not a brush hog. I have 1 additional acre that is “brush/woods” that I do t keep cut, all of the problems I have had with my zero turn are related to trying to use it as a brush hog back there. I have since bought a proper rotary brush hog.

The only problems have been belts and a new PTO/clutch.
Oh, and the nice built a nest in the cylinder shroud and I lost a valve guide.

Remember, commercial mowers are designed to run 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. 3 hours a week is pretty light use on one.

Yjmoose

/ Zero turn mower advice #22  
I went through this last year. I have 2 acres to cut.

When looking at engine life factor in that your mowing time is reduced by 35-50%. In my case I went from 110 minutes to 70 minutes and I am still learning. I also cut my trimming time from 25 minutes to 15 minutes.

Between cutting grass and mulching leaves I put on 35 hours a year. A "crap" Kohler gas engine that is supposed to last 1000 hours will last me 30 years!!! In my case, buying a diesel would have been foolish. BTW I checked the price of a replacement Kohler engine and it was $2500. I paid just over $5.3k for a 54" Bag Boy ZT Elite that has a front suspension and 7 ga. deck. Currently they list at $6k

Buying a diesel to get longer engine life might makes sense for someone who cuts A LOT of grass. Buying one because it "sips" fuel is silly for most owners. It takes a lot of fuel savings and engine replacements to save over $10,000.

Run your numbers and see what makes sense for you. Lots of guys justify big toys and have the money to do it. Others take a more "rational" view of things.

Last edited:
   / Zero turn mower advice #23  
I run a Hustler 72” commercial mower on my lawn... I love it. It was about $10k new, but you can find good units for much less. I will repeat, get some suspension. Seat, flex forks, whatever it takes. I can mow 2 acres with lots of obstacles in 75 minutes, which is amazing. I’d love a diesel, but I doubt this thing ever dies at 56 hours per year 😂

/ Zero turn mower advice #24  
My old cub cadet (LT1050 lawn tractor) has seen better days.

I have 2 1/2 - 3 acres to cut.

It takes me about 5 hours.

I borrowed a Kubota ZD21 from the neighbor (farmer) .. 20 year old diesel commercial unit ...

WOW ... 2 hours and done!

SO ... I started looking.

Looks like I can get a decent residential unit (say a toro with a 60 " deck) for about $6K to $8K ...OUCH!

Or ... I can get a 20 year old ZD21 for about the same price (I see one out there for $5400, 950 hours).

And I see a Kubota ZG327 (60", gas, 800 hours) ... $4,500 ... probably 10-12 years old

I was really hoping to say in the $4500 - $5000 range

The ZD21 is diesel so O would think 950 hours is not bad ... but it is 20 years old/

I like the ZG327 as it is gas (since I don't have any other diesel equipment) ... but 800 hours on a 10-12 year old gas motor seems like a lot.

New just seems to be out of my price range (cheapest 60" I found was a JD at HD ... $5K ... but I was warned about "low end" home units).

Any advice ??????

Thanks .... Mike

I’m a big believer in the Kubota diesel ZD zero turns. The diesels are about as simple, reliable, dependable and tough as it gets. I picked up a ZD331 72” 5 years ago and still have it. 2200 hours on it now and no sign of slowing down.
I can mow a 2 acre lawn in under 40 minutes. We mow some rough stuff and it doesn‘t flinch

/ Zero turn mower advice #25  
Check out the Deere Z530R, it’s really close to your price range. I bought it’s predecessor (Z540R) and have been mowing about 6-7 acres a week since I got it almost 6 years ago. I’ve abused that thing by hauling logs, clearing pasture, etc and it still runs and cuts like new. Used as it was designed, I can’t imagine that thing ever wearing out. You might also look at the Z545R as that‘s the same machine but has the EFI motor, but it’s also a lot more expensive. Depends on how much you hate carburetors ;)

/ Zero turn mower advice #26  
Buy one that is comfortable with an expensive seat on it. Comfort and ease of use makes cutting grass so much nicer. I upgraded last year to a Gravely Pro-Turn and it drives and cuts real nice. I like the Kubota's as well and thought really hard about getting one of them. The Pro-Turn was not cheap either but I got it on sale because of year old model, that the dealer was trying to move. I had a Gravely ZT48 before that and road that thing hard. It had a 19 HP Kawasaki on it and started every time. Never had a carburetor issue. My cousin has it now and cutting her grass with it. Normal maintenance. It was a good, solid machine.

If you are going to spend 4 to 5 grand, why not just step up and buy a 10 to 12 grand new machine with 4 grand down that will last you the rest of your life and be comfortable on it? You will have a 150 a month payment for 4 years, interest free and be done with it. Just something to think about. I do understand paying cash and not getting into debt as well. Good Luck.

/ Zero turn mower advice #27  
I have 2 zero turns to use on my property. One is a 20 year old Bunton with a 48” deck. The other is a 2016 Toro Titan MX6000 with a 60” deck. A few years ago I had to replace the electric pto on the Bunton. No other issues with either mower. The Toro has a suspension seat and has been claimed by my wife.
My advice is to avoid lower end units with non-serviceable hydro drives. You want one with high quality hydros. The commercial dealers can help with the information on various hydros and engine choices. You should not need a full blown “commercial” unit. I know Toro makes “farm” or “estate” mowers that are in between the big box store quality but more cost efficient for the homeowner when compared to full commercial units. Keep in mind all the various brands use the same basic components. When doing comparisons be sure to compare the hydros (ZT 3100 vs 2800) and engines (Kohler Command Pro vs Kohler Confidant). After that is just comes down to overall design and features such as suspension seats. And don’t forget the value a good dealer adds.

/ Zero turn mower advice #28  
Buy one that is comfortable with an expensive seat on it. Comfort and ease of use makes cutting grass so much nicer.

This was my main concern as well. After learning that they all use the same engines I sort of just decided I would rather make mowing as enjoyable as possible and not worry too much about how many hours brand 1,2, or 3 is supposed to last. I will probably put under 30 hours a year on my unit, so unless I abuse it, it should last.

I still can't shill enough for the steering wheel version of the cub cadet, much more chill 1 handed driving. Also I purchased hearing protection 3M worktunes bluetooth/FM headset. Nothing like a good podcast to guide you through mowing.

/ Zero turn mower advice #29  
I have been really tempted to get a Cyclone like yours for fall leaves. How do you like it?
The Cyclone does what I bought it for. I have many trees that drop many leaves and for some reason, the leaves end up in my drainage ditches around the property. I use the Cyclone to vacuum out the ditches. In the spring, I use it to collect grass clippings and last year's leaves for my wife's compost pile.

The Cyclone is rigid to the mower, that is, the Cyclone pivots on its wheels and does not articulate like its competition. For a ZT this is perfect because it does not strain the vacuum hose in high degree turns. The downside is you have to remember that so you don't side-swipe obstacles like trees.

I've run the Cyclone for two seasons, if I had to re-do the choice, I would choose the Cyclone.

/ Zero turn mower advice #30  
I have a 15 year old Deere Z920 commercial mower. I bought it 5-6 years ago with a little over 200 hours. Now, I'd love a diesel, but the Z920 does so well, just can't justify selling and looking for a diesel.
Definitely go for some kind of air-ride or suspension seat...that's my main suggestion