Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #341  
Main problem with EV's is that the system can't support and the .gov is trying to force it. A slow roll out would have been smarter since most, myself included, cannot afford to buy a decent EV truck ( gotta have a truck) that's sketchy at best.

I'll stick with my ICE truck.

/ Will UAW Strike? #342  
Spreading any cost increase over the declining number of ICE vehicle sales is going to change the price of ICE vehicles.

The ever increasing EV sales volume is going to continue to reduce the cost of EVs as EV's numbers go up and ICE numbers go down.

My concern is from what I'm hearing unions are anti-EV and since everything is moving in that direction in a general sense I don't understand their end-game with EV prices declining versus ICE cost increasing. I think the financial frugal-minded individual will have an easy decision on which to buy if EVs work for their application.

If EV’s are so freaking awesome, why is Ford losing billions on EV’s?

/ Will UAW Strike? #343  
Main problem with EV's is that the system can't support and the .gov is trying to force it. A slow roll out would have been smarter since most, myself included, cannot afford to buy a decent EV truck ( gotta have a truck) that's sketchy at best.

I'll stick with my ICE truck.
I was up at Fords Rouge assembly a few weeks ago and the Lightening electric pickup trucks were stacked like cordwood in the holding lots... No one wants them and no one can pay the freight either. That and E-Mustangs that don't even look like a pony car. Strike or no strike, Fords is gonna have to have a fire sale to unload them.

Having said that, if I was in the market (which I'm not)for a new car, I'd consider a Hybrid but not a plug in only. Has to have an ICE plus battery power.

It appears to me that they are trying to cater to the 'greenies' and IMO, that is a big mistake in my view at least.

Watched the TFL test in the Ford electric pickup pulling the trailer. 80 miles and it was out of poop.

My other issue is replacing the battery in a plug in. I read that batteries can cost upwards of 25 grand. That ain't in my wheelhouse.

/ Will UAW Strike? #344  
Sorry 5050 Not Moss...

My other issue is replacing the battery in a plug in. I read that batteries can cost upwards of 25 grand. That ain't in my wheelhouse.
Plug-in Hybrid is the best current option. Charging times are much less. Batteries last longer. Still has 10 gal or more tank of gas and gets 55+ mpg on that. Range is better than a similar sized ICE. We had a regular Prius and a Prime (Plug-In). If we get a new daily driver down the road I'll push for the Rav4 Prime.

/ Will UAW Strike? #345  
I wouldn't mind a hybrid car if I was in the market. I only drive 80 miles a day for work so that would come in handy. My fusion gets 28mpg, for now that's good.

Logistics knock out EV for me. Old house and probably cost to much for a charger hook up. My employer doesn't have hook ups. Plus in 5 minutes I can power up my standard vehicles and be on down the road.

No brainer for me

/ Will UAW Strike? #347  
If EV’s are so freaking awesome, why is Ford losing billions on EV’s?
Why do you think Ford is a special snowflake?

If Tesla lost billions in their first 17 years of making EVs why do you expect the diluted Ford gene pool 100 years later can still do what Henry Ford did 100 years ago?

Elon Musk is working from Henry Ford's original Play Book. Today Ford is not committed to Henry Ford's playbook.

In the middle of the 8th ending Ford has decided to follow the leadership of Elon Musk's playbook because they realize he is the reincarnated Henry Ford.

Ford was too deep in debt to participate in the EV Evolution. Now they are billions deeper in debt due KY/TN EV endeavors with low odds of benefiting because they have your EV mind set from the evidence that I can see.

Windows of opportunities open then close. Today even Elon Musk couldn't save Ford or GM I expect. I am not sure he is going to be able to save even X.

/ Will UAW Strike? #348  
Plug-in Hybrid is the best current option. Charging times are much less. Batteries last longer. Still has 10 gal or more tank of gas and gets 55+ mpg on that. Range is better than a similar sized ICE. We had a regular Prius and a Prime (Plug-In). If we get a new daily driver down the road I'll push for the Rav4 Prime.
I was going for a RAV4 Prime until I realized the 2023 Tesla Model Y dual motor long range was thousands less and had a better safety record and the FSD option. Our 2016 Nissan Leaf SL with 150 range let me understand a 300 mile range Tesla with their Supercharger network solved my range anxiety. Plus my Tesla arrived 6 days after I ordered it and Toyota dealership said 6+ months.

Last summer for a test bed I bought a 2015 Prius C with 103K miles company car that per Carfax has been in 5 accidents around the Nashville Tennessee area with a crack windshield to start with the minor issues. The oil change history looked good. The hybrid drive train after a hard 10K miles still performs like new with NO oil burning. With a charged HV battery in EV mode I can go upto 1 mile before the engine automatically starts.

It should be in Pigeon Forge by now since the son and daughter in law took it on their anniversary weekend trip. They hope to have a new RAV4 Hybrid by next Spring.

With a RAV4 Prime in EV mode some have gone a year without buying gas but all here know what is a huge no no.

That was my first Toyota and I can give their hybrid design a thumbs up. I think you will really enjoy your RAV4 Prime when you get it.

/ Will UAW Strike? #349  
Like I said, we already had the Prius Prime. 650+ range. 300 doesn't cut it out here. Rav4 has more EV only than Prius. It doesn't have the ability to replace the Tundra. It would be instead of an Outback.

/ Will UAW Strike? #350  
I have a cousin with a Prius Prime and she just loves it.

At 14,000 mi. I haven't required charging away from home. Tesla seems to have charger about ever 150 mi. So range is not a problem typically for a Tesla.Plus I have bought the CCS1 adapter so I can charge at any of those stations and I carry the Tesla adapter to use the old 220 volt 120 volt connector. J1772.

You sound smart to stay away from a full EV. If I lived in the outback, the RAV4 Prime would be my choice.