Ballast Weight box when???

/ Weight box when??? #21  
Then you have all that stuff laying around your shed or yard.........

I guess my time is too valuable to mess with all that stuff. I don't have alot of time to screw around with that stuff because I am working most of the time.

I can see where the "make-your-own" thing isn't for everyone... it just depends on your situation. For me, my "shed" is 40' x 70' and there is more than enough "yard" to set a couple of blocks. To each there own... but it is nice to discuss different options, pros and cons so other people can decided to for themselves what works for the them.

/ Weight box when??? #22  
I can see where the "make-your-own" thing isn't for everyone... it just depends on your situation.

I lucked into a ballast box, but if I were going to "look" for one, I'd look on Craigslist or farm auctions.
I wouldn't want to pay the $200 for a Deere box or $500 (!!!!!!) for a Kubota box either.
Having one really made me a believer in rear ballast though.

/ Weight box when???
Lack of storage space could never be an issue for me. Lack of time for another project well okay that's an issue. But I figure I can make one in the time it's gonna take me to shop around for a good price and then drive what usually ends up being 60 miles to get it. :)7

/ Weight box when??? #24  
I have a 4,500 square foot garage, and storage space IS an issue! :laughing:

/ Weight box when??? #25  
Space is tight for me. You guys wouldn't believe what I have crammed in my garage!

There was just no room for my ballast box. The wife's car gets a stall. The camper gets a stall. The tractor, scraper and cutter get another stall (big stall).

Two vehicles and the riding mower are outside.

The ballast box stays outside. I hated to do that, but is it just a steel box filled with concrete! It was kind of banged up when I got it too. (Not real happy, but not a battle I wanted to fight.)

Someday I am going to build an outbuilding, but that is not in the budget yet.

/ Weight box when??? #26  
Just build another garage, I'd sell stuff before I ever let it sit outside in Wisconsin. Our climate ruins most anything metal, just give it enough time. :laughing:

/ Weight box when??? #27  
In the past I have just put on a heavy implement, however my old 60 gallon upright air compressor just died and I eyed it up and figure it will make an excellent rear weight. Time to get the torch and welder out!

/ Weight box when??? #28  
So, how durable is a poured block of concrete as a ballast? Sounds like a simple and inexpensive way to build several with different weights. But it also seems like it wouldn't like the stresses put on it by the 3 point pins and would tend to break apart. Maybe a piece of pipe between the pins and within the block to spread the load? Maybe even a piece of flat steel welded to the pipe to spread the load a little more?

Just thinking out loud here.

/ Weight box when??? #29  
So, how durable is a poured block of concrete as a ballast? Sounds like a simple and inexpensive way to build several with different weights. But it also seems like it wouldn't like the stresses put on it by the 3 point pins and would tend to break apart. Maybe a piece of pipe between the pins and within the block to spread the load? Maybe even a piece of flat steel welded to the pipe to spread the load a little more?

Just thinking out loud here.

I'd use some chicken wire or similar in the mix to add strength.

One guy used one of those big Rubbermaid tubs as his mold. Been a few years, but I do remember the picture.

/ Weight box when??? #30  
I just do not understand this changing weights thing:confused2: My BB is heavy and I want it that way all the time-I have never felt the need to vary the weight.