Useful attachments adapted to PT ?

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #91  
I have a similar PT mower on my 1430. The lift section is in the forward holes and it will still tilt forward. Some times when I need the front up, I take out one set of the travel stop bolts and tilt the plate forward and put the bolts back in. This allow me to tip the front of the deck up, but then it doesn't float well.

The forward/reverse delay I believe is caused by the 2 fittings for the foot pilot control, where the hoses from the foot control valve go to the hydrostatic drive pump. The factory welds them closed and then drills small holes through to cause a small delay. If they weren't purposely restricted, you would be spinning the tires every time you changed directions. It is possible that foreign material might have further restricted the holes. You may want to take them out and inspect/blow out.

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ?
The rain held me up from further investigating until today when I removed the left rear tire to look for the oil leak.

It looks like the worst leak is from the smaller hose fitting on the back of the wheel motor plus another leak from the bottom hose on the box (brake?) on the frame. The oil seemed to be leaking through one of the holes under that box and then running back to the wheel area where it dripped onto the wheel rim. My 1445 is usually parked on a slope in a shed where an oil leak would tend to do that.

I tightened the fittings and tried to make some pictures, but then the rain started again. Had to put the machine up for now.

Haven't called Terry back until I have a better understanding of what is actually going on.

9.2 hours on the 1445 so far.

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #93  
The rain held me up from further investigating until today when I removed the left rear tire to look for the oil leak.

It looks like the worst leak is from the smaller hose fitting on the back of the wheel motor plus another leak from the bottom hose on the box (brake?) on the frame. The oil seemed to be leaking through one of the holes under that box and then running back to the wheel area where it dripped onto the wheel rim. My 1445 is usually parked on a slope in a shed where an oil leak would tend to do that.

I tightened the fittings and tried to make some pictures, but then the rain started again. Had to put the machine up for now.

Haven't called Terry back until I have a better understanding of what is actually going on.

9.2 hours on the 1445 so far.
Thanks for the update. Small leaks are one reason why I try to keep the hydraulic hoses and fittings really clean at all times. It makes finding a leak quicker, and it keeps the leaks smaller, at least for me. If you have done so already, I would go around tightening every fitting about now. The ones on the steering mechanism are a pain to get to, but if they leak, it tends to get everywhere under the dash/console area.

Photos would be great whenever you have the chance.

All the best,

Peter

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #94  
I have not greased yet.

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #97  
Every eight hours. That and changing your hydraulic oil filter every 50 hours are great things to do for your tractor.

I really recommend a powered grease gun, either battery powered or air powered and a locking zerk nozzle.

All the best,

Peter

The locking zerk nozzle on mine doesn't fit the zerk housings on several of the loader fittings. One is missing from the factory. Looks like I need a right angle zerk nozzle for the grease fitting under the console.

Dismayed to see the same or worse oil leaks after tightening the loose hydraulic hose to the wheel motor and attempting to tighten one of the smaller hoses under the assembly beside it on the frame. Is this the auto brake? I noticed that the PT will roll backward on an incline if I take my foot off the treadle pedal.

Still having the delay in movement after first start up.

leaks.jpg
could not grease.jpgmissing zerk.jpg

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #99  
I have found that only certain brands of grease gun nozzles fit the loader arm recessed zerks.

If you raise the engine "hood", and then stand in front of the dipstick, you should see a gizmo bolted to the tub wall, with several hoses going in and out of it, a large (3") diameter metal tube (the brake accumulator), and towards the back end, a large spring. Chock your tractor so it can't move, preferably with the bucket edge straight into the ground. When you start the tractor with the hood open, does the spring move? When you flip the brake switch off, how long does it take for the spring to move? If you watch the spring, with the brakes off, does it periodically go in and out?

Do you have photos of the particular hose end(s) that are leaking for you? Have you tried jacking the PT up, removing the wheel, getting everything clean and running it briefly? Can you see exactly where the oil is leaking? If it is the brake line, did you clean that end getting it super clean and then remove it to check for dirt on the flare surface, or a cracked flare end? (I have had that happen to me once.)

All the best,

Peter

Thank you. I will check these things and report back.