Trailering Advice Needed

/ Trailering Advice Needed #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
IMG_0400.JPG

See attached picture. This is a 3 horse trailer with one horse loaded in the front, one in the middle, last slot empty. The vehicle sag is exaggerated some as we were sitting in a slight swale. We may only bring one horse home. In your opinion, what is best way to load? Center stall over axles? All the way forward or rear? I have heard a lot of different opinions, but you guys always come through. With 2 horses-one to the front and one in the middle? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
   / Trailering Advice Needed
The trailer axles are back far enough that you can use the middle and rear stalls.
Try it, you'll like it :) .

We will. I feel like I am making it nose heavy the other way 🤷‍♂️

/ Trailering Advice Needed #4  
First question: how well do the horses get along?
Two horses having a pseudo-shoving match is no good. If they get along, putting them side-by-side is usually comforting, to them and they will ride better.

Second question: How heavy are each if they horses?

In general, too much tongue weight is safer than too little tongue weight. It looks like you have too much tongue weight, based on the rear sag, but the hill is making that worse.

It looks like you would have even better options, if you used a weight-distributing hitch.

First question: how well do the horses get along?
Two horses having a pseudo-shoving match is no good. If they get along, putting them side-by-side is usually comforting, to them and they will ride better.

Second question: How heavy are each if they horses?

In general, too much tongue weight is safer than too little tongue weight. It looks like you have too much tongue weight, based on the rear sag, but the hill is making that worse.

It looks like you would have even better options, if you used a weight-distributing hitch.

They weigh about 850 a piece, smaller breed. Get along very well

/ Trailering Advice Needed #6  
That’s not a lot of weight, either way. If you didn’t like the way it rode with both in front, try both in the back two stalls. That’s one great thing about smaller horses. I would guess it would ride best with one in the front most stall and the other in the rear most stall, but I doubt any setup makes a drastic difference.

/ Trailering Advice Needed #7  
I would put them at the back in the center and rear stalls over the axles. The weight of the trailer alone, with the axles so far back, should give you the tongue weight you need, 10%-15% of trailer weight. Our Warmbloods weigh 1400#-1500# so which stall they are in makes a difference. Also consider the weight of the tack in the tackroom. If your trailer has the collapsible tackroom in the rear putting the saddles back there can put some weight at the back.

The trailer looks pretty level. Because the Sundowner bumper pull hitch is not that far off the ground, you may consider a drop for the receiver hitch to help level out the tow vehicle. I like a slight nose up for the trailer which would also help.

/ Trailering Advice Needed #8  
I found some info, on your trailer. It’s listed at 3,200 lbs, empty, so adding 1,600 pounds (two small horses) still puts you at not a very heavy weight, total. In fact, before tack, you’re not even to half of the trailer GVWR of 9,990 lbs.

27284726-4E23-48C1-8186-2791C643F99D.png

With the rear stall being much larger, it allows the horse in that stall to move more. I would put the smallest horse in this stall, if it was to be used. You want the heavier animals to move as little as possible.

8058011B-1E2E-4D10-90BF-4F5C75B25044.png

Again, your horses are not big enough to make a big difference. I would decide which rode where based on how they ride more importantly than how the trailer rides. If they don’t seem to care, try all the combinations.

I found some info, on your trailer. It’s listed at 3,200 lbs, empty, so adding 1,600 pounds (two small horses) still puts you at not a very heavy weight, total. In fact, before tack, you’re not even to half of the trailer GVWR of 9,990 lbs.

View attachment 714608

With the rear stall being much larger, it allows the horse in that stall to move more. I would put the smallest horse in this stall, if it was to be used. You want the heavier animals to move as little as possible.

View attachment 714609

Again, your horses are not big enough to make a big difference. I would decide which rode where based on how they ride more importantly than how the trailer rides. If they don’t seem to care, try all the combinations.

You sir are the reason I come here. Thank you for taking the time to provide a fantastic explanation. We show Paso Fino horses. They are a little smaller than a quarter horse. I never thought of the tack room 🤦🏻‍♂️. We will load middle and last stall and I will report back. Again, thanks!!!

/ Trailering Advice Needed #10  
I don't know. This may not make you happy, I am sorry about. But I am probably wrong. If we start empty without worrying about the horses. The trailer weighs 3200. The axles are far back as stated by Xfaxman. Just as a rough guess, half of the trailer weight is 1600. Looking at the picture, what is the trailer tongue weight empty. Maybe 1000 to 1100 pounds? I don't know. Now if you add any load, the tongue weight will be the same if load is over the axles. If any forward of the axles, it will also add to the tongue weight. (which may already be too heavy. ) What should the tongue weight be? 3200 + 1900 (2 horses) = 5100. 10%-15% = 510 to 750. I would be concerned about the tongue weight. Not to mention what the tow rating to the tow vehicle may be. The tow vehicle may have steering problems with front end up and less weight on the front. If overload payload and rear axle rating, may be very hard on the tow vehicle. Just quick thoughts. best wishes