trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
Well, it wound up being a good exercise for me to look up that Stihl battery top handle. I have been wanting a top handle but wouldn't bite because of the price and won't use it that much, But the battery looks like something I might could use. Looking forward to your review of the Mikita.
I should have the new Mikita saw on the job site on Thursday.

I got this model because of the following.

Automatic oiler.
Uses common chain size.
Already use the batteries and had good luck with them.
Has bar brake.
has top handle.

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #412  
Back in the day, I used to chase chainsaw hp. Now when I cut a trail through the woods, most times I use this little top handle Echo I got for $100 several years ago. Most of what I cut is 6" or less, and if I keep the chain sharp (not easy when cutting stumps off at the ground) it works for most things. I would use a larger saw if I was bucking firewood, but for trails, I'm just making 1 or 2 cuts per tree. At 7 1/2 lbs, it is nice for carrying too.

1658165688947.png

1658165888302.png

Just about time to retire this chain. One more sharpening?

Back in the day, I used to chase chainsaw hp. Now when I cut a trail through the woods, most times I use this little top handle Echo I got for $100 several years ago. Most of what I cut is 6" or less, and if I keep the chain sharp (not easy when cutting stumps off at the ground) it works for most things. I would use a larger saw if I was bucking firewood, but for trails, I'm just making 1 or 2 cuts per tree. At 7 1/2 lbs, it is nice for carrying too.

View attachment 754814

View attachment 754815

Just about time to retire this chain. One more sharpening?
Your chain is waaaaaay to lose. But I'd throw it at this point of wear, into the recycle anyway. We always bring mutible chains with us into the field.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #414  
The chain is loose because it just came in from the field. I have 2 new chains for it. The retire it comment was tongue in cheek. 😛

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #415  
I do like my Pferd Sharpener.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #419  
I hand file half a dozen times or so, then take it to the shop for sharpening so everything stays "Cricket"

Last edited:
I should have the new Mikita saw on the job site on Thursday.
Mini Mikita showed by via our favorite UPS driver (he loves da mutts) Should I do a review here? Or start a new thread about it. :unsure: