trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #401  
I will of course do a review of this mini-saw after i can put it through some paces. Its not suppose to show up until mid next week. My extra chains for it have arrived.
I really like the lightweight and convenience of my 12" 20volt DeWalt, For delimbing and small stuff, wish it was a top handle though, and I have to clean up around the chain catcher and sprocket guard frequently. It sure beats using a bow saw or axe though.

/ trail clearing technique and tools
What is a misery whip?
2 man saws.
SPOT-MiseryWhips.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #405  
You would think they would modify the rues tp allow cordless tools. They have to be quieter than the cursing that goes on when that 2 man saw gets pinched.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #406  
I would think for trail clearing work, they would allow gas tools and such. But they are pretty strict. There may be others that I do not know of but the only exception I know of is for helo evacuations/SAR work.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #407  
1657900785569.png

I hope some hikers in their Eddie Bauer gear saw you working, so they can better appreciate the effort involved with trail maintenance.

/ trail clearing technique and tools
We've had to hike in, to do much of our trail work that we've done over the past 20+- years, sometimes quite a few miles in, just to start into the job. We "somewhat" ended that when we got our 6x6 that could carry all the necessary tools in, including us. After we started this practice, we found we get much more trail work done and even have more tools along with us.
boss in snow083.jpg

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #410  
I bought it, not my employer. I wanted it small and not use a special chain sold by the manufacturer. The smallest Stihl had there special chain on it. I didn't look at MSA 161 because I didn't consider that large of bar saw.

I have a pole saw by stihl which I do love but I don't like its micro sized chain on it that only they sale and I'm working to have it switched out..
Well, it wound up being a good exercise for me to look up that Stihl battery top handle. I have been wanting a top handle but wouldn't bite because of the price and won't use it that much, But the battery looks like something I might could use.

Looking forward to your review of the Mikita.