trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
I've had some people comment "a tractor could be used to clear dead-falls" and this is not the case. When trails are being cleared of anything, you don't want the slash at the edge of the trail for cosmetic reasons and the fact new growth will come up among it and make clearing it again, pure hell to re-clear.. We've had people doing that and we followed them X years later clearing them again. 😢 :( 😡 👎 You need to somewhat disperse the slash into the woods and make trail users not even notice that limbs and whole trees were remove there.. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #392  
Trail clearing in the Santa Cruz CA fire zone is proving to be very dangerous… so much so the original contractor is pulling out due to repeated serious injury.

The standing fire damaged trees are just waiting to drop massive limbs when disturbed.

The new plan is a giant excavator with grapple and saw blade in the interest of safety…

Last edited:
Out on our trails today and here is a snippet of what was done. New map holder was put up, bridge approaches cleared and a dead-fall removed. Will post more later.
P1070040.jpg
P1070075.jpg
P1070043.jpg

In my day job, I've been clearing out brush in the yard of a closed for a few years business and having qeif getting to all the 1 to 3" new growth. I just got a battery mini saw to assist.

Makita XCU06Z 18V LXT® Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 10" Top Handle Chain Saw, Tool Only
61eqDjCN5wL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #395  
Why do they make you use that Makita?
Stihl has a battery powered top handle saw: STIHL MSA 161 T 12 Battery-Powered Top Handle Chainsaw w/ 12" Bar (Battery & Charger Not Included)
I bought it, not my employer. I wanted it small and not use a special chain sold by the manufacturer. The smallest Stihl had there special chain on it. I didn't look at MSA 161 because I didn't consider that large of bar saw.

I have a pole saw by stihl which I do love but I don't like its micro sized chain on it that only they sale and I'm working to have it switched out..

/ trail clearing technique and tools #397  
You'd think someone would make a conversion kit, but I haven't found one. The micro chain is pushing me towards buying an Echo pole saw.

The chain size thing might not be a issue for the vast majority of polesaw user's. It is for us who sharpen them in the field and use many chains per season. We are using this setup after two years as is.

In my day job, I've been clearing out brush in the yard of a closed for a few years business and having qeif getting to all the 1 to 3" new growth. I just got a battery mini saw to assist.

Makita XCU06Z 18V LXT® Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 10" Top Handle Chain Saw, Tool Only View attachment 753776

I will of course do a review of this mini-saw after i can put it through some paces. Its not suppose to show up until mid next week. My extra chains for it have arrived.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #400  
I did a trail maintenance day in the Washington Cascades a few years back. The location was in a wilderness area and you are not allowed to bring in anything with a motor, or wheels. We hiked in a few miles with misery whips, wedges and axes and cleared some large windfall. It was very interesting work. One trick they used was to wrap large logs with webbing multiple times, and then pull the webbing to roll very large logs off the trail.

One tip I learned was, to keep your saw sharp, remove the bark in the area you plan to cut. Over the years dirt and sand embed in the bark which will dull your saw very quickly. There was also a lot of time spent sitting and observing before taking action. Basically look at the lay of the land, the weight of the trees, and predict what will roll, twist or fall (and in which direction). Once these things start to move, things can go pear shaped quickly. Lots of latent energy waiting to be released!

DSCN1598.jpg

DSCN1602.jpg

DSCN1612.jpg

DSCN1615.jpg

View attachment 754334
DSCN1621.jpg