trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #651  
Did you buy the 6x6? Can am is a nice unit.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #653  
Back to the topic of clearing (I think thats the topic). We cleared brush Monday & Tuesday along fence lines. The techniques we used were mostly our Stihl 131 with pole saw for cutting brush along the fences and tree limbs that were difficult to reach. Only key word missing here is trail, although the customer does like to walk the fence line somewhat like a trail. We do clearing work all winter, so this is just a typical day for us.
Here’s a few pictures.

1676463529457.jpeg

1676463576020.jpeg

I will get some pictures after work is completed.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #654  
Haven't even been able to work on the trail for having to clear out some saplings in the field and some fence rows.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #655  
I was rained out of work today and stopped by the Stihl dealership and the 1st thing he says to me is "i got parts in for you!" and I received the necessarily parts to swtich my polesaw over to 3/8 chain. (y) Will post pics later. With one chain this cost me about $70.

I've been assuming that polesaw was switched to 3/8" Low Profile chain (sharpens with a 5/32" file) and not a full-sized 3/8" chain (sharpens with a 7/32" file).

Is that correct? I can't imagine many pole saws would have the HP to drive a regular 3/8" pitch chain. That's usually found on 60cc and larger saws (though you do occasionally see it on some of the more powerful 50cc saws).

I'm sorry if I missed it earlier in this thread, but what size chain was on your pole saw originally?

/ trail clearing technique and tools
I've been assuming that polesaw was switched to 3/8" Low Profile chain (sharpens with a 5/32" file) and not a full-sized 3/8" chain (sharpens with a 7/32" file).

Is that correct? I can't imagine many pole saws would have the HP to drive a regular 3/8" pitch chain. That's usually found on 60cc and larger saws (though you do occasionally see it on some of the more powerful 50cc saws).

I'm sorry if I missed it earlier in this thread, but what size chain was on your pole saw originally?
Sthil designed there own micro chain so as to be the only retailer. I recommend folks to trade it out to the 3/8 at the shop from the start. It does use the smaller 5/32 file. I'll give you the actual chain specs when I get home. I've been getting chains from Amazon for reasonable prices and the size is more durable and much easier to sharpen.. I broke those micro often and would say they are a joke..

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #657  
Works great! I don't have the part numbers but your dealer is pulling your strings. Not that this helps, but its just the bar and drive sprocket you need to use a standared chain.
Thanks for the reply. My dealer sales tractors, the Stihl stuff is stuck in a corner and you get what you get.

This is the chain,

.050 Gauge 3/8 Pitch 44 Drive Links 3 Pack​

/ trail clearing technique and tools #659  
This is the chain,

.050 Gauge 3/8 Pitch 44 Drive Links 3 Pack​

If that was supposed to be a link, it didn't work. Given that you said it's sharpened with a 5/32" file, that makes it 3/8" low profile (a pole saw just does not have the HP to drive a full-sized 3/8" pitch chain).

I agree, the 3/8" LP cuts a lot nicer than the 1/4" pitch that Stihl is pushing on some of their pole saws. I could see the 1/4" stuff if it actually worked better on smaller saws, but it really seems to me to be just what you said: an attempt by Stihl to lock in customers to their chains.

If that was supposed to be a link, it didn't work. Given that you said it's sharpened with a 5/32" file, that makes it 3/8" low profile (a pole saw just does not have the HP to drive a full-sized 3/8" pitch chain).

I agree, the 3/8" LP cuts a lot nicer than the 1/4" pitch that Stihl is pushing on some of their pole saws. I could see the 1/4" stuff if it actually worked better on smaller saws, but it really seems to me to be just what you said: an attempt by Stihl to lock in customers to their chains.
Those Stihl micro chains were poor, junk, weak and broke. Take your choice of verbs.. (n)