Traction: locking diff vs limited slip vs traction control

/ Traction: locking diff vs limited slip vs traction control #1  

tommott77

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1430 Deutz, Kubota bx1880, CAT 301.7D mini ex
Hi all, Contemplating a Toolcat purchase to maintain my steep mountain property. I've heard of issues/complaints of traction power from these machines I believe from all the various traction aids that have been available on toolcats. Wondering though if there is a consensus as to which aid or series of Toolcat would excel most in traction going up and down a steep mountain. Think lots of tight and steeps switchbacks mix of asphalt, gravel, dirt in sections.

I would assume the diff lock would work best of the earlier series, followed by the traction control of new series, with the limited slip of the D and F series faring the worst based off the machines I've previously worked on my property. I replaced a CUT tractor with a rear diff lock with a Power Trac articulating loader with limited slip which turned out to be a huge step backwards in traction force.

I've found two low hour machines in my modest price range. One a 2006 with locking diff that's been recently painted and an original clean 2013 with just the limited slip I'm assuming. Not sure if I would regret the loss of traction with the 2013 or some reoccurring rust on the 2006 most.

Last edited:
   / Traction: locking diff vs limited slip vs traction control #2  
had both, my 2005 had locking diff, it worked but only locked when wheels were not turned, the 2020 has traction control, it is defiantly improved over the older model

yes the 2005 had the rust deal, had the box sand blasted then painted, new decals, this only lasted little over 2 years, sills and floor were getting bad when I sold it, thats the way it goes buying a used machine that cleared snow and spread salt.

rust was why I purchased new, touch wood no rust thus far

/ Traction: locking diff vs limited slip vs traction control
Ok, thanks for that. I'm leaning towards I should probably be more worried about rust than lack of traction when comparing machines. A traction control machine would be nice but the newer machines are probably out of my price range at the moment.

/ Traction: locking diff vs limited slip vs traction control #4  
I believe one of the most important factors in traction on non-highway equipment is the height of the tires.
All other factors being similar the machine with the taller, not wider but taller tire will generally have better traction.

So I just found a 2012 Toolcat that supposedly has the traction control option. I've come across varying opinions as to whether or not only the 2014+ G series machines had a traction control system.

Would a 2012 F series have the same traction control system as the G series? I though I had read somewhere that the differential system in the F and G series may be different which would lead me to think that the traction system may work differently on the two different series as well.

/ Traction: locking diff vs limited slip vs traction control #6  
the older machines had locking diff and a switch to activate it, the machines with traction do not have a diff lock switch,

the older machines had locking diff and a switch to activate it, the machines with traction do not have a diff lock switch,
Looks like the same traction control switch found the 2014+ G series but in a 2012 F series, not the diff lock of the earlier series.

/ Traction: locking diff vs limited slip vs traction control #8  
here is a picture of the console, diff lock is switch #13, it only locks rear axle diff, the wheels have to be straight and front steer only, the front axle does not lock though as the front and rear are the same if you apply pressure to the fitting on the front it will lock, I added a Tee and a solinoid to do this, only use in snow as it does lock it solid

the traction switch works differently, in low/default speed traction is on all the time, in high speed it turns off by default, never tried switching it during either speeds never had the need to try, next time out I will see what it does

Attachments

• diff lock.jpg
    diff lock.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
here is a picture of the console, diff lock is switch #13, it only locks rear axle diff, the wheels have to be straight and front steer only, the front axle does not lock though as the front and rear are the same if you apply pressure to the fitting on the front it will lock, I added a Tee and a solinoid to do this, only use in snow as it does lock it solid

the traction switch works differently, in low/default speed traction is on all the time, in high speed it turns off by default, never tried switching it during either speeds never had the need to try, next time out I will see what it does
Thanks for that pic. Turned out the 2012 did not have traction control. The switch on the 2012 for what I had thought was the traction control as found in the 2014+ F series, was actually the strobe light function as found in the earlier machines you have pictured.