2014 Toolcat 5600: G - Unhappy when Traction Control Enabled

/ 2014 Toolcat 5600: G - Unhappy when Traction Control Enabled #1  

liamcward

Tractor
Toolcat 5600
Hey Guys!

I purchased a used 2014 5600 G-Series that I've been working on as it was overdue for a little love! This will be for home property use for myself, so it will also be a bit of a project to get it back into better shape! One of the issues that has come up so far, is that the machine is very unhappy with Traction Control enabled. The machine bogs and lurches and basically comes to a stop with TC enabled. If I disable the TC - it drives completely fine. There are also no error codes spitting out while it's happening.

I mentioned that it was a littler over-due for some TLC. So far I have done the following, all with genuine Bobcat OEM Parts and Fluids:
  • Drained and replaced Hydraulic Fluid, Both Filters & Breather Cap
  • Engine Oil Flush and Filter
  • New Fuel Filter
  • New Air Cleaner Filters (Inner & Outer)
  • New Drive Belt and Tensioner / Idler Pulley
  • Drain & Replace Transaxle Fluid
  • Clean & Grease Up
The problem still persists with TC enabled. My only theory I've got left is possibly the wheel speed sensors? Could it be that the TC is not reading the wheel rotation correctly?

Unfortunately the machine did not come with the Service / Owners Manual - I do have one on order, but like everything else in the world, still waiting to receive. Also, the parts diagram online doesn't seem to clearly show where the rear sensor is located.

I can see the front wheel speed sensor quite clearly, but I'm not sure where the rear sensor is located. Does anyone know if it's under the back plate? It's going to take me a little work to get that one off, the bolts are in rough shape.

I'm open to any other theories or suggestions on what to trouble shoot! I did a quick search and couldn't find any other topics relating to the same issue.

Thanks for your time and help!!

I can see the sensor cable is Item 16 - but tough to tell where it's located for the rear wheels!

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 1.11.48 PM.png

/ 2014 Toolcat 5600: G - Unhappy when Traction Control Enabled #2  
Any chance you have the engine mgmt option turned on? I have an '09 so their probably different but the only time I've dealt with what you described is when I played with turning the Engine Mgmt. On.

/ 2014 Toolcat 5600: G - Unhappy when Traction Control Enabled #3  
Being that the Toolcat uses the brakes to control the wheel spin your brakes may need to be calibrated. The dealer will use the analyzer to diagnose and calibrate the brakes.

Also, be careful getting Bobcat branded filters that are not bought at a bonafied dealer. I received a fuel filter from a large filter distributor that was bobcat branded but was a counterfeit.

/ 2014 Toolcat 5600: G - Unhappy when Traction Control Enabled
Any chance you have the engine mgmt option turned on? I have an '09 so their probably different but the only time I've dealt with what you described is when I played with turning the Engine Mgmt. On.
Unfortunately not the case, but thanks for the suggestion!

Being that the Toolcat uses the brakes to control the wheel spin your brakes may need to be calibrated. The dealer will use the analyzer to diagnose and calibrate the brakes.

Also, be careful getting Bobcat branded filters that are not bought at a bonafied dealer. I received a fuel filter from a large filter distributor that was bobcat branded but was a counterfeit.
I figured with the limited hours I’d be putting on, fluids / filters etc should have a pretty good life span - so just decided to get them all straight from my local bobcat dealer.

I have a feeling it is brakes related… getting the machine in is going to be a process.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

UPDATE: Still no luck on diagnosing the problem - but I did get an error code while trying a test drive today.

Code was 50-89. Can’t seem to find anywhere what that might be related to.

Attachments

• 806D98FE-216B-4B14-B8D4-14B98B9A13C7.jpeg
    806D98FE-216B-4B14-B8D4-14B98B9A13C7.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 123
   / 2014 Toolcat 5600: G - Unhappy when Traction Control Enabled #7  
My manual only shows code 50-88, not a 50-89. Codes 86,87,and 88 are about the axle speed sensors.

My manual only shows code 50-88, not a 50-89. Codes 86,87,and 88 are about the axle speed sensors.
Thank you again for your help @ruffdog. I think you’re definitely on to something with the brake calibration. I’ve been reading back through some other posts regarding brakes dragging, bogging and definitely sounds like something I need to get done.

I also came across someone saying their machine isn’t coasting well - mine doesn’t coast at all! As soon as you take your foot off the gas, it comes to a hard stop!

Next challenge will be trying to get the machine in to my local dealer!

I’ll keep the post updated if and when I get it in - and what the resolution to the problem ends up being.

/ 2014 Toolcat 5600: G - Unhappy when Traction Control Enabled #9  
My 2017 does not coast either. I drove another one at the dealer in about 2018 and it acted just like mine.

/ 2014 Toolcat 5600: G - Unhappy when Traction Control Enabled #10  
I also came across someone saying their machine isn’t coasting well - mine doesn’t coast at all! As soon as you take your foot off the gas, it comes to a hard stop!
That is normal operation for the hydrostatic transmission and just to be picky, there is no gas pedal in the diesel powered machine. ;)

Bobcat has a name for the go pedal, but l can't think of it now and am too lazy to look it up.