Turbo vs Non-turbo

/ Turbo vs Non-turbo #1  

tommott77

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1430 Deutz, Kubota bx1880, CAT 301.7D mini ex
Hi all,

Still searching for a used Toolcat. I think i’ve zeroed in on the 2006 model because of the limited slip differential and the updated boom with increased curling ability. From what I can gather the 2004-2006 models had the option of turbo vs non-turbo engines.

Anybody have any buying advice on the turbo vs non-turbo engines? I was originally only interested in the turbo models for the extra torque going up and down our mountain property (Also the reason i’m wanting diff lock). After some research here though it looks like the NA motor is actually 2.2L vs the 2.0L turbo, so i’m starting to think you’re getting more of a HP bump with the turbo than a torque bump with the turbo models. Aside from maybe a sweeper I don’t myself using any PTO implements too often (which may be where the turbo excels), mainly just need the bucket/forks/bed to move material/supplies up and down our property (mountain).

/ Turbo vs Non-turbo #2  
Turbos increase HP at any given engine speed by increasing torque.
That’s why turbo engines are generally smaller in displacement. Forcing more air in the cylinders means more fuel can be injected which creates higher combustion pressures which = more torque.
90cummins

/ Turbo vs Non-turbo #4  
There’s no replacement for displacement.

Also, it comes down to how much stress, heat and longevity you want from a motor that delivers X hp.

/ Turbo vs Non-turbo #6  
General turbo opinion: in machines where weight is an advantage skip the turbo and get N/A. Couple less things to break.

If you live above about 4000' then I would opt for the air pump.

Best,

ed

/ Turbo vs Non-turbo #7  
Another thread explains the differences between the turbo/non-turbo toolcats. The non-turbo ones got the smaller fuel tank and were NOT high-flow capable.

A vs B vs C Series

/ Turbo vs Non-turbo
Thanks for all the responses. What’s everybody’s take on the travel speed of the turbo vs non turbo? Bobcat lists both the turbo and non turbo with the same top speed, but what about under load? The machine will be used to traverse supplies up and down my STEEP mountain property. Some of its paved where you can up the mountain at full speed.

That reminds of one more question about toolcats that i haven’t been able to find an answer on. How well would the brakes actually work on the toolcats for my steep loaded declines? Not sure how the work in form of mechanical operation or real world functional capability.

/ Turbo vs Non-turbo #10  
the turbo is definatly a advantage going up hill, regarding the brakes they hold 100% loading on my trailer, at the cabin our road has quite a incline never touch the brakes the ease off the go pedal does the job fine