Tire planning

/ Tire planning #11  
I like the looks of those fronts for a utility tractor, not for a tillage tractor but many other times I think they would be very good.
I have no use for R4's I haven't found a situation where they worked better the R1's for me.
Yeah, those R14 tires have been around in Europe for a long time and are actually called and known as Municipal tires. For the most part are used on municipal tractors that spend 90% of the time on paved roads with brooms, flail mowers, plowing snow, etc.

/ Tire planning #12  
I have R4s on my Workmaster 40. I HATE them. They are 6-ply rated and extremely stiff which is great for resisting puncture.
But, this lack of flex also causes them to have very poor traction. I find that they are so bad that I have to keep my tractor in four wheel drive almost all of the time, even when driving on gravel hills.

I really wanted R3s again because that’s what we had on our previous tractor and they were amazing in all conditions. But, R3s are nearly impossible to find around here on new tractors, and dealers tend to shy away from swapping them out for you when you buy. If I could do it over again, I’d demand R3s or no sale.
It’s interesting that in my owners manual the both the front R1 & R3 tire run at lower pressures 8 psi on the low end but the R4 is 16 psi.

I currently have the radial 550s set to 16 psi, but I may try lowering it some.

I chalked the lugs and at 16 psi the chalk was completely gone in say 3 revolutions, but I think the outside of the lugs were the last to go.

Last edited:
   / Tire planning #13  
It’s interesting that in my owners manual the both the front R1 & R3 tire run at lower pressures 8 psi on the low end but the R4 is 16 psi.

I chalked the lugs and at 16 psi the chalk was completely gone in say 3 revolutions, but I think the outside of the lugs were the last to go.
It takes more pressure to inflate a stiffer thicker sidewall and tread.

/ Tire planning #14  
I did what you are wanting, found a set of new take offs and had them shipped to me. Sold the old R1's
for cheap just to get rid of them, better than paying a EPA fee and didn't want them laying around.
I had to get a set of 2" spacers from brotek because the clearance to the fender was only 1/2". This was on a L3400 also. You have time so keep searching, they are out there. If I find my paperwork I will let you know where I got them from, it was 4 or 5 years ago.

David

/ Tire planning #15  

Be careful how low you go. R1 and R3 tires seat on a flat flange on the rim and will stay on even with low air pressure. R4's sit on a tapered flange and use air pressure to hold them in place similar to a semi tractor or trailer tire. R4's need the higher air pressure to stay on place on the rim. I feel it's just one more of many reasons not to buy R4's

/ Tire planning #16  
While I have only driven it once I noticed the radial design of the 550s seem to flex when going over object, so I might not need to go to a lower psi.

/ Tire planning #17  
34CA7FF0-01B1-48FC-AB53-5A3482F16C67.jpeg

/ Tire planning #18  
5. Can I buy the tires/rims and install myself?

I keep noticing tire tools at each of the local Tractor Supply store. Somebody's buying them, and I doubt dealers get their tools at TSC.

/ Tire planning #19  
Have used both for a very long time and there is no way Id get rid of R1 for R4. They are more stable, and easier on grass, and stronger. But thats where the advantages end. In mud they clog up almost instantly.

/ Tire planning #20  
Do you have a good relationship with your Kubota dealer? Talk to your salesman and get him to order you rims and tires through Whole Goods.

I got my new rims and tires that way cheaper than I could buy just the tires anywhere else. So you essentially get free rims.