Summer or winter diesel?

/ Summer or winter diesel?
Foam board is easily caught on fire?
When I don't have a block heater I have used a heat lamp shining on the intake and head.
Yes, I was a bit concerned about that but, even with the heat gun on high for about 20 minutes, there was no significant heating of the board as the output of the gun is directed down and toward the top of the engine. It is something I will be watching though for a while more until I'm confident it's safe.

One thing I would not do is locate the heat gun inside the container. It would heat up faster as it would be recirculating inside air but I would not trust such an arrangement to be safe.

/ Summer or winter diesel? #12  
Mine can be a little cold blooded too. I just use the old trick of a droplight with a 100W bulb under the hood. If it's really cold, a blanket over the hood. A few hours usually does the trick.

for sure easy test as you asked.
if you want to test if summer or winter diesel take a little bit in a glass jar and put it in a freezer for a few hours.
Typical freezer about 0°F (-18°C) if it gets cloudy or gels then its summer for sure.

Cheers
Thank you, good idea, will try it.

You can get a magnetic block heater for less than $30 stick it somewhere magnetic and plug it in
Already have a clamp on heater. It helps but sometimes not good enough. I don't know what its wattage is but the heat gun would put out a ton more and it appears so far to be a big improvement (also faster).

/ Summer or winter diesel? #16  
Summer diesel will start easier in the summer.

Winter diesel will start easier in the winter.

/ Summer or winter diesel? #17  
You're in Alberta. Winter diesel with additive. I live in Minnesota, and all my diesels except the 2 stored in a heated garage get #1 before shedding for the winter if there is any reason I might want to start them. I learned my lesson 10 years ago when I got into this and it took days to get a tractor going I suddenly needed. YouTube videos of some Alberta farmers taking days to start tractors.

You're in Alberta. Winter diesel with additive. I live in Minnesota, and all my diesels except the 2 stored in a heated garage get #1 before shedding for the winter if there is any reason I might want to start them. I learned my lesson 10 years ago when I got into this and it took days to get a tractor going I suddenly needed. YouTube videos of some Alberta farmers taking days to start tractors.
Any suggestions on what would be a good additive?

BTW, I added a can of Diesel Purge (to a fairly low tank level so it should be at a pretty good concentration). I dunno if it enhances cetane level but it does, along with the heat gun boost, starts are a lot easier now.

Last edited: