Summer or winter diesel?

/ Summer or winter diesel? #1  

NoSmoke

Tractor
YM155D
Hey, I have a Yanmar 155D which is not a great starter in cold weather (pretty much anything below freezing). The thing runs fine once going and warmed up a bit (smooth running with no smoke or blowby). I have checked the Thermostart device and valve timing - all OK.

One thing I'm wondering about is winter vs summer diesel. The diesel I have was bought some time last year so I am not sure whether it is summer or winter blend. Is there any simple way of telling which (I will replace the diesel in tank with winter blend if it is summer in there now)? Would it make a great deal of difference in cold weather starting?

TIA for any comments...

/ Summer or winter diesel? #3  
Do you use an additive that includes a cetane booster? The higher the cetane rating the quicker the fuel lights off.

Also, you can blend your own "winter blend" by getting some #1 fuel to mix with your unknown #2 fuel.

/ Summer or winter diesel? #4  
I don't believe you would see any noticeable difference in starting between winter or summer fuel.

/ Summer or winter diesel? #5  
If you're running winter diesel in the summer you'll get a little less work per gallon but it's quite usable as the seasons switch. Winter diesel is used in cold weather to prevent the fuel from gelling. You can put an additive in your summer diesel as winter approaches to turn it into winter diesel. There's no real need to drain the tank to change fuel when the seasons change.

/ Summer or winter diesel?
Thanks all for the replies. I will leave the diesel fuel as is.

In the meantime, I have constructed an insulation board enclosure that fits over and around the engine. It has a hole on top into which the nozzle of a heat gun is inserted. When left turned on high setting for 10 or 15 minutes, it does a nice job of warming up the cylinder head and upper block. Starting is much easier so I think I will just go with that.

/ Summer or winter diesel? #7  
Foam board is easily caught on fire?
When I don't have a block heater I have used a heat lamp shining on the intake and head.

/ Summer or winter diesel? #9  
You can get a magnetic block heater for less than $30 stick it somewhere magnetic and plug it in

/ Summer or winter diesel? #10  
for sure easy test as you asked.
if you want to test if summer or winter diesel take a little bit in a glass jar and put it in a freezer for a few hours.
Typical freezer about 0°F (-18°C) if it gets cloudy or gels then its summer for sure.

Cheers