Stumped! What a difference a ton makes

/ Stumped! What a difference a ton makes #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
I wanted a hemlock stump "repositioned" to allow better movement from one area to another. The tree had been cut close to the ground 4 years ago after being hit by lightning (taking out the well pump!). suprising how "healthy" that 20" butt is still.

Started with the Hurlimann as it has the loader. (2300#) ' dug around a bit and cut a few of the top roots with the loader blade. But, when I hitched a chain onto any real part of the root, It might as well have been hooked to any of the exposed ledge all around the property. NADA!

I poked around with pick and shovel this morning to expose some of the bigger roots. Then I went down to start up the Fordson (4300#).

Hitched on to one root section, started forward, and with a wrench!< out it comes. Hook on to another, out it comes too. One of the root sections is over 6 ft long from butt till where it broke from the ground.

After about an hour of this "piece work", there is a good pile of slivers cast off to the side. That's when the main stump was wrapped with the chain. First tug saw some good movement! Second tug confirmed that pulling the piece out was happening soon, The third tug upended the root ball, but let the chain slip off holding only a bundle of small stuff.

Backed up hard into the stump with the draw bar, and rehitched the chain. Out and over!

The stump sits just outside the hole. I was done. The air was pretty warm, and spitting rain. Tomorrow, I'll use the Hurlimann and it's loader to tumble the root ball back to the "stump pile". The 100 yards of tumbling will knock off most of the soil clinging to it.

The scrape blade will clean up the area, and I'll be satisfied.

Cheers

/ Stumped! What a difference a ton makes
Yep! Imagination is half the fun!

Learned that when I started being interested in gurlz

/ Stumped! What a difference a ton makes #4  
Yep! Imagination is half the fun!

Learned that when I started being interested in gurlz

Ain't it the truth!

/ Stumped! What a difference a ton makes #5  
Here are few I pulled.

Attachments

• allHPcameracard5302014 220.JPG
    allHPcameracard5302014 220.JPG
    763.1 KB · Views: 106
  • allHPcameracard5302014 218.JPG
    allHPcameracard5302014 218.JPG
    777.1 KB · Views: 119
  • allHPcameracard5302014 219.JPG
    allHPcameracard5302014 219.JPG
    751.5 KB · Views: 95
   / Stumped! What a difference a ton makes #6  
Pics from last year of a pair of white poplars I dug up in '06 from heavy clay with the Terramite. (still a lot of it stuck there that rain hasn't rinsed off yet)
IMG_1004.JPGIMG_1005.JPG

btw: This was a challenge I wouldn't tackle again without being paid, & paid extra for hauling them off the job. Well, I was giddy about retiring that year (30 & out) and took on all kinds of stuff I wouldn't do now. What's to be done at my place is smaller and in sand, so I shouldn't want for an extra ton of muscle.

/ Stumped! What a difference a ton makes #7  
Here is one of several that I have wresled out of the ground here on the rock pile....
This is about all that my old tractor and I can handle.....

The ones that are 30" or more in diameter that I have had to cut, I cut about a foot high and set a BIG flower pot on them....

Good luck
===
002.jpg