Not a Ford, but a Ford-son

/ Not a Ford, but a Ford-son #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
I started a bit of landscaping earlier this year. It's all about redoing the bathroom, that meant putting in an out door shower (Highly recommended) , that meant moving the wood shed, that required a substantial fill where the old shed used to set on elevated piers. Which meant moving stony fill from a place out back, that meant digging through a lot of stone and fill and a couple of stumps. That lead to breaking the front axle on the loader tractor. And, after repairing the broken axle, the loader equipped tractor (35HP) could barely scratch at the remaining stump.

SO

I got out the Fordson E27n. I had not run the old gal since early winter last to push a bit of snow. The points in the magneto must have gotten a little fouled , as there was no spark. (The battery was fine however! ;-).

The tractor is parked in the lower bank barn. Dark and little room to move. One of the # 6 straight slot screws holding the mag cover on was seized tight. I ended up drilling it out . Cleaned the points by running some stiff paper soaked in starting fluid across the contacts (Don't pull paper all the way through. That will always leaves some paper fibers between the points!)

The old gal started RIGHT UP nary a crank heard before she lit off. Drove her up into the yard and scrubbed her off with a brush and hose pipe flowing water. Checked the radiator and engine oil, then grabbed a couple lengths of stout chain and went back to shift the stump that broke the little tractor.

Two tugs and that stump came clean off the ledge it was sitting on.! ;-)

Now no excuses. The stump was old and rotten. But, the loader on a 2500# tractor didn't even scare that stump.

A chain and a 4500# tractor with "maybe" 28 Nebraska horses shifted the load without a huff!

True, Italian horses are smaller than English horses....in general.

All is well, the stump is on it's way to the burn pile out by the pond. Pretty wet out there these days, and rain in the mix for tomorrow.

I might start in on the bath renovation..... ;-)

/ Not a Ford, but a Ford-son #2  
Your Fordson must be in better shape than this one. Sitting in a neighbors yard - down the road a piece. I could, just barely, make out the name on the top, front of the grill.

IMG_0177a.jpeg
IMG_0178.jpeg

/ Not a Ford, but a Ford-son
Well!

The E27n is a proper Dagenham child

Not some waif from Cork!

/ Not a Ford, but a Ford-son #4  
Huh?? I beg your pardon.

/ Not a Ford, but a Ford-son #5  
Huh?? I beg your pardon.

fordson production moved to England somewhere along the way (I forget the date). They were manufactured in the Ford plant in Dagenham.
I presume they moved to Cork after a bit.
You may what to look it up

/ Not a Ford, but a Ford-son #6  
All I know about this old tractor is what the current property owner told me. His grandfather used it on the property here. As he was told - it last ran around 1949. He has never seen it running. In it's current shape - I don't think anybody will again.

Thank you for that bit of history.

/ Not a Ford, but a Ford-son
Fordson production occurred in the U.S. (1917–1928); Cork, Ireland (1919–1923 and 1928–1933); and at Dagenham, Essex, England (1933–1964). Tens of thousands of Fordsons, most from the U.S. and some from Ireland, were exported to the Soviet Union from 1920 to 1927. Soviet Fordson clones were also built at Leningrad from 1924 and at Stalingrad from 1930.

/ Not a Ford, but a Ford-son #8  
I have a Power Major. The one with the vacuum governor.

/ Not a Ford, but a Ford-son #9  
Your Fordson must be in better shape than this one. Sitting in a neighbors yard - down the road a piece. I could, just barely, make out the name on the top, front of the grill.

View attachment 707492 View attachment 707495
I saw some AA guys drag one of those home. Nice shape too. Next thing I knew they had torched the wheels off and hauled the rest off for scrap. Cut the axles with a torch...

/ Not a Ford, but a Ford-son #10  
I saw some AA guys drag one of those home. Nice shape too. Next thing I knew they had torched the wheels off and hauled the rest off for scrap. Cut the axles with a torch...
That should be a capital offense.