Dragging trees out of clearing, best method?

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #11  

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #12  
20 years ago, farm was (selectively) timbered. Behind the house, are some old trees with tons of little trees and scrub trees. Looking to clear a section behind the house and take it all down.

"Trees" are anywhere from say, 2" diameter to several at 24". I'm debating on getting several burn barrels so I can just start cutting in place and burn. I'm on a hill and the only way to drag things out is over the septic field..... NOT going to happen!

Enter idea: I can go down the field a bit.... start clearing some woods over there and take out the smaller stuff making a "road" through the woods to behind my house and then use THAT as ingress/egress to drag stuff out (presuming that I don't burn in place)

Now I'm wondering if I go that route, what a more efficient way to extract the downed trees might be. I want to drag them to my burn pile which happens to be below the ingress point. (this was planned)

I'm thinking just chain whatever behind my (International) 1066.... or maybe cut things up and put into 8' wide loader bucket of industrial backhoe... (more body work for me and that would wear me out AND pose more opportunities to trip/fall/cut my face off, other)

Wife's cousin next door, has Deere with loader/backhoe. It's around 40HP if I recall (whatever it takes to NOT need DEF, he's under that limit)

Smaller than my 1066, it would get in/out easier but I'd have to section some of the trees.

Then the question.....how to attached said fallen tree to tractor. and here's the thrust of my questions....

Isn't there a grapple that attaches to 3-pt? (pretty sure there is) Would it take the use/abuse of being put onto the 1066? Would it be a better fit for the smaller Deere?

Yesterday, I cut a path between the ingress point and behind the house. Left 3 feet standing of all I cut down so I can SEE them and, have some leverage with backhoe to remove them (I always like to get the stumps out and most of this would take a flick of the hoe to remove, only a couple large trees are back here)

Cut a path....next is get hoe up there and while driving backwards, pluck all stumps out, set aside.... fill front bucket on way out and get them to burn pile. THEN I get to the mess behind the house. (I had cut a lot of this down several years ago....so it's not a clearing as I left the larger trees but now, we're looking to take it ALL out, the crap on the ground AND the larger standing trees)

Just trying to figure out with machines at hand, what the most efficient way might be to drag the trees out.
Just skid logs the way that loggers have been doing for years. Limb the tree, then skid the logs with a cable choker fastened to a clevis on your drawbar. Logging tongs are ok, but don’t grip the log as securely as a choker. And chokers are cheaper.

Last edited:
   / Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #13  

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #14  

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #15  
Using a rear blade is clever

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method?
Does your 1066 gave a backhoe?

No, the backhoe is my JCB industrial.

1066 has a flexwing attached to the rear and a speed multiplier attached to the PTO (it's a hydraulic mower). I don't even have ... what's it called..... the mower is attached to the drawbar BUT, if you remove that, there is a trailer hitch that goes between the two arms. I don't have that.

I now see the pictures above (and had seen that prior) but looks like it's CAT-1 rated? Tractor is Cat-2 as I recall.... Any issues with that? (I do have bushings for my tiny box/blade as I can't yet put $$$ into a Cat-2, approx 6 footer heavy duty that I'd want to get...)

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method?
Looking at that skidding arch.... that is interesting.

Right now, I'm envisioning cutting things up, burning in place OR, dragging out, one log at time via skidding tongs.

Something like that with wheels.... allows me to put that behind tractor. Take backhoe up there and use the hoe to manouver any trees onto it.... then take several out at a time with tractor.

ok, I like that idea! Now.... off to look around...

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #18  
I've pulled trees with by back blade - a 6' CAT 1 - I removed the blade to be able to lower it closer to the ground. Pulled maybe 10 trees like that - not a lot but it works. Just a pain to get the trees chained/hooked up every time.

I would get a setup like the video 2 in post 11 to drop over a log without getting on/off the tractor.

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #19  
If I was building a towed logging arch, I would find a VW rear axle of this design, rotated upright. There were several versions in different cars. Just add a tongue to have a basic structure.

RabbitAxle.jpgRabbitAxleArch.jpg

Bruce

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #20  
I took a different option as I did not want to spend 2 to 3 k on a grapple and front hydraulics so I bought a set of debris forks. If I remember correctly I spent about 250 but they either did not ship to canadá or the cost was pricey. And this was when the border was closed so I found a different option.
One advantage besides the cost is you can take at least 2 or 3 times the volume of the bucket itself and fit longer pieces outside the bucket.
Other item I used was a box blade to drag the trees as I was also moving dirt at the same time.

Attachments

• 4ED70910-8EC6-4683-8891-663B53D1E87F.png
    4ED70910-8EC6-4683-8891-663B53D1E87F.png
    4 MB · Views: 121
  • 868773A2-E671-444A-8BEB-564D2ACBA95C.png
    868773A2-E671-444A-8BEB-564D2ACBA95C.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 115