What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs?

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I have years of old dead pine trees on the ground-- hundreds of them. Aftermath of a bark beetle invasion.

I want to get rid of many of them. I'm thinking of stacking and burning, but due to size I have to cut them first. (Typical log is probably 16 in diameter and 60ft long. Regulations in CA are maximum 4ft by 4ft burn pile but that is commonly exceeded.

I know that even simple brush piles can take hours to burn. So burning dense "logs" will take longer but I want to speed that up.

I am looking for the fastest, most efficient method to burn them up, but not to the level of having a 50 ft fireball into the sky. I have to keep the burn pile somewhat reasonable. I am considering bucking some logs into sections, and throwing them on the fire whole. And with others, bucking into sections, splitting them like firewood, then into the fire. Seems the split logs would burn up faster?

Once the fire gets established, I won't be able to drag long heavy logs into it. So some cutting / bucking cannot be avoided.

Any ideas?

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #2  
Some kind of blower to get good airflow and alot of time. If you're really limited to 4'x4' or anywhere near that its going to take forever. Just 1 tree cut into sections and packed tightly will exceed that.

Can you rent a really big chipper instead?

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #3  
Sounds like a lot of work.

Any chance you have a ravine or low spot on the property? If so, push the logs in and let them rot. In my locale, pine logs on the ground rot away in a few years, leaving just pine knots.

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #4  
When they clear woods here in Ohio they at times dig a trench, push then in the same and burn them. Some just push into a large pile, let them dry enough and burn them in place when they have a steady breeze to give plenty of oxygen. Here they often use diesel and old tires to help but on ag use they permit more or at least if seems, no neighbors complain. CA may have different regs, here they often say agricultural use so OK

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #5  
I have burned log piles by stacking them so the pile gets air at the bottom. Two logs one way, then 4 the other way, then 4 the other way, and so on. Air can get in at the bottom and burn hot in the middle. Once the pile collapses, then lay more logs on the side in a teepee shape.

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #6  
Plenty of accelerant and criss cross staking. I use old motor oil myself. In as much as you are in the land of Newsom, I think I'd take them to a landfill and pay to dispose of them...

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #7  
Lots of free firewood around here but many people will still buy truck loads of logs and have it delivered. Might take awhile but could be less effort if there is any demand in your area.

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #8  
You say - "hundreds of downed trees". That is a REALLY, REALLY BEEG JOB THERE SEIGNIOR.

The only FAST ways to handle - push into a ravine, let them rot( JJT #3 ) or chip them( Minsid #2).

Burning will take a long time and will require somebodies presence at all times.

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #9  
Your clime must differ from mine. In north Mississippi when a log lays on the ground a few years, the microorganisms, termites, etc. turn it to mush (technical term).

Your logs should be well dried by now. When I lived outside Houston, the common practice was to dig a pit 4' or so deep, install a diesel blower along one side, start the fire and keep pushing stuff in. When finished, fill the pit back in. The blower makes it burn faster and minimizes the smoke.

/ What is the fastest way to burn a pile of logs? #10  
The more surface area exposed to the fire the faster it will burn. Bucking and splitting would make it burn much faster but it’s also the most labor intensive. Cutting it in 3 ft pieces would be a lot less work and still much faster than trying to burn a 60ft log. Have you considered posting the logs for free? Someone would probably haul them off especially if you’ll use the tractor to load them.