Dragging trees out of clearing, best method?

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #21  
When I first started clearing my land, I made roads through it by taking out the trees with my backhoe, then wrapping a chain around them, and pulling them behind the backhoe. The chain is attached to one of the tie down points to the size of the hoe. This worked, but the trees created a rut that just got deeper and deeper. Filling in the canyon was hit and miss because it was hard to compact so a heavy thunderstorm didn't wash it out. In some areas, I've had to use bricks and even sacks of concrete to lock the soil in place.

Eventually I got a grapple for the front of the backhoe. I had to modify it to a Quick Attach, which was a pain. And then do the plumbing for the hydraulics, which was also a pain. But that made life ten times better. I made my roads wider so I could get through them with the saplings in the grapple. They still my hit something along the way. If it wasn't too bad, I lived with it, if it caused issues, I took out some more trees.

For bigger trees, I would cut them into lengths. This helped them burn, but also made getting them through the woods a lot easier. I always get the stump as small as possible, but even then, some stumps where too big for my grapple to pick up. Recently I discovered that I could pick up those stumps with my pallet forks!!!!!

Besides not destroying the soil, this also ended my issue of soil building up in the burn pile. Just a little dirt on a tree in the burn pile would lead to a massive amount of dirt over time. Getting off of the tractor as little as possible makes everything easier and go faster. But sometimes the easiest way requires using the chainsaw. In my opinion, it's easier to cut a big tree into 20 foot sections, or bigger if I have the space to get through the trees, then to rebuild the ground that is destroyed by dragging trees over it, over and over again.

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #22  
Well, most of us want to do it ourselves to save money. But then we overwork our bodies and end up paying the hospital to fix our bodies for our cheap escapes. Work smart, not hard......I'd rather spend that money on equipment than pay the hospital.

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #23  
When I first started clearing my land, I made roads through it by taking out the trees with my backhoe, then wrapping a chain around them, and pulling them behind the backhoe. The chain is attached to one of the tie down points to the size of the hoe. This worked, but the trees created a rut that just got deeper and deeper. Filling in the canyon was hit and miss because it was hard to compact so a heavy thunderstorm didn't wash it out. In some areas, I've had to use bricks and even sacks of concrete to lock the soil in place.

Eventually I got a grapple for the front of the backhoe. I had to modify it to a Quick Attach, which was a pain. And then do the plumbing for the hydraulics, which was also a pain. But that made life ten times better. I made my roads wider so I could get through them with the saplings in the grapple. They still my hit something along the way. If it wasn't too bad, I lived with it, if it caused issues, I took out some more trees.

For bigger trees, I would cut them into lengths. This helped them burn, but also made getting them through the woods a lot easier. I always get the stump as small as possible, but even then, some stumps where too big for my grapple to pick up. Recently I discovered that I could pick up those stumps with my pallet forks!!!!!

Besides not destroying the soil, this also ended my issue of soil building up in the burn pile. Just a little dirt on a tree in the burn pile would lead to a massive amount of dirt over time. Getting off of the tractor as little as possible makes everything easier and go faster. But sometimes the easiest way requires using the chainsaw. In my opinion, it's easier to cut a big tree into 20 foot sections, or bigger if I have the space to get through the trees, then to rebuild the ground that is destroyed by dragging trees over it, over and over again.
EddieWalker,

Well put and clearly gained from experience. Grapples work wonders on limbs and tops. If moving only logs then, depending on distance moved, I can move 10-20 cord of wood in an hour.

Attachments

• IMAG0364- M59.jpg
    IMAG0364- M59.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 94
  • IMAG0685- Bldg site logs.jpg
    IMAG0685- Bldg site logs.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 89
   / Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #24  
So, what method/equipment did you end up using?

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method?
Here's a side question if I may.... decided to just ask here rather than a new thread.

Second storm came through. Couple more trees blown over (probably loosened up by first storm)

Anyway, had a white oak fall, block the drive. Spent two hours cutting the canopy so I could drag it off/away from the drive. Now, I see the base of the tree further up the hill and VERY easy to get to. I've been wanting to get some white oak to make a box or chest for my great-nephew who's all of maybe three years old.

Maybe something else....don't really know. This got me wondering though.... if I cut the white oak into logs, have it milled into dimensional lumber..... (and remember, this is for kicks & grins) I've been wondering if it's worth having it quarter sawn verses straight cut. i'm guessing the grain would be long/straight verses the 'layered' image traditional oak gives BUT, I don't think I've ever seen quarter sawn white oak.

There will be probably six 10' lengths of clean logs so I might have them cut half one way, half the other way.....

Ultimately, what I'm trying to figure out in my head is, is there any visual value to having white oak quarter sawn verses straight?

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #26  
Quarter sawn is the most preferred material for visual impact. Just do a search on other websites. However, if the material isn't going to be put to best use by a skilled woodworker, is it worth it? It wouldn't make sense to use it to make bookshelfs where the grain will be covered up by books. But if you're going to make something to show off, then quarter sawn.

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #27  
Once the sawyer squares up the log, if you just cut it through and through you will have a mix of wood with the boards near the middle showing quarter sawn grain. You might have an issue finding a sawyer that is proficient in quartersawing.

While you have the sawyer there, have him saw up some stickers, you will need a lot and he can easily produce them.

I hired a sawyer with a portable band mill to saw some storm fallen walnut and oak. It was the best money I spent on my hobby. Make sure you have plenty of help.

Doug in SW IA

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #28  
   / Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #29  
You could try this to move the logs...

1680960295537.png

Maybe a local military unit needs some training.
:)

Oh yeah, DEF starts at 75 HP. Over 25 there are other rules that tend to lead to DOC or DPF or another creative way to reduce emissions.

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #30  
I pick up long trees up at times with the bucket the long way when there is no space to carry it crosswise. And I don't have a grapple but welded on a thumb on the bucket that works pretty well so I never got one.

IMG_1140.jpeg