Dragging trees out of clearing, best method?

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method?
I just grab the tree with the backhoe and thrumb, swing the hoe so that the tree is alongside the tractor, and off we go. Nice and narrow.

I'll admit this is how I also do things however, I don't have a thumb. I have to pinch between the bucket and dipperstick. One issue I have on these fallen trees is they're up on a hill (maybe I should call it a slope because you CAN walk/drive up there) They are primarily on TVA property (I don't see that being a huge issue as they are mixed on TVA property AND our property)

But... the pucker factor starts to come to play. Not having had my backhoe nor tractor up there, by eyeballing it, the terrain appears to be pucker terrain. Add a tree to the side of the machine and the pucker tightens.

So my initial thoughts are to chain/cable grab them and then pull them out from a lower elevation where I'm in the clear AND much flatter ground.

Won't really know until my wife's (endless) projects slow down and I can put some time into this.

/ Dragging trees out of clearing, best method? #42  
Cable and redirect pulley or two is a very inexpensive and effective option for a lot of situations if you have a long enough and flat enough spot to work from.