Stihl Ultra smell ?

/ Stihl Ultra smell ? #1  

om21braz

Veteran Member
Is it just me, or does the Stihl Ultra 2-cycle oil have a strange smell compared to other synthetic or dino oil mixes? Been using Opti-2, but I've got tired of squeezing the bottle, cracked bottles, etc.

/ Stihl Ultra smell ? #2  
Is it just me, or does the Stihl Ultra 2-cycle oil have a strange smell compared to other synthetic or dino oil mixes? Been using Opti-2, but I've got tired of squeezing the bottle, cracked bottles, etc.

OK, you made me curious. So I went out and tried sniffing my Stihl HP Ultra 2-cycle oil. Now I don't have any other 2-cycle oil on hand, so I tried to compare it to my Ingersoll-Rand air-compressor synthetic oil. I really didn't notice any difference, but then I'm still recovering from a head cold, so maybe it wasn't a valid test.:laughing:

/ Stihl Ultra smell ? #3  
Uh-oh!! Let's hope that sniffing 2-cycle oil doesn't fry the brain like airplane glue does.:)

Steve

/ Stihl Ultra smell ?
Just to clarify, not how it smells in the bottle, but as it is being burned,ie; the exhaust fumes. First time I used it in a backpack blower, I thought some plastic had gotten against the muffler or something. Then using it in a chainsaw, I noticed the same odor.

/ Stihl Ultra smell ? #5  
Well, I'm not going to go out and run that test.:laughing: Besides, I wouldn't have anything to compart it to. Of course, I only use it in the Stihl string trimmer and in my little Mantis tiller.

/ Stihl Ultra smell ? #6  
OK, you made me curious. So I went out and tried sniffing my Stihl HP Ultra 2-cycle oil.

Is that legal? Now the Bird is flying higher than :cloud9:

/ Stihl Ultra smell ? #7  
This question got me to remembering my dirt bike days in the late 60's early 70's when we would run castor bean oil like blendzall in our 2 strokes dang that stuff smelled great beats nowadays mix smell wise anyway.

Of course I seem to remember also it didn't lube very good or something gummed up plugs or carbs maybe both its been too long but I distinctly remember that smell it was just amazing.

/ Stihl Ultra smell ? #8  
I was running the Husqvarna oil in my Makita/Dolmar, then I switched to Echo when I ran out. To me the Echo stinks, I'm switching back to the Husqy oil as soon as its gone...

/ Stihl Ultra smell ? #9  
Up until 2 years ago I ran Stihl High Performance 2 cycle oil exclusively. I then switched to Stihl HP Super 2 cycle (semi-synthetic) for 12 gals and then swithced to Stihl HP Ultra 2 cycle (synthetic) which I have been running for the last 30+ gals.

Yes there is a definite difference in residual odor from the exhaust fumes. A much less oily smell with each change. The Utra 2 has a different smell, less oily, than the standard or semi-syn but I have never thought of it as a burning smell. I can't say I like it, but it is SO MUCH better than the HP or HP Super. After 6-7 hours running a FS 450 brush cutter there is a lot of residual in your clothes. It also has helped my chainsaw run better. It is not nearly as bad a smell with the HP Ultra. The other advantage is less coking of the spark arrestor screens we have to use out here.

/ Stihl Ultra smell ?
I guess much of it is me. I most recently used the Opti-2 which to me has basically no smell.