square baler trouble shooting

/ square baler trouble shooting #41  
Awesome thank you Farmer495 for your tips. I will check out the plunger tomorrow, grease all joints with pb blaster and see if it is stuck.

Sea2Summit, yes I bought my first baler and I am learning. Couldn't pass it up at $300. It did not come with grease or twine. Also did not come with a tractor, rake, cutter bar, fuel, or grass.
I think what I heard you say is, I really think you should prioritize getting the manuals as they will really help you get this baler going for hay season. Is that correct? If so, I agree with you and I will get the manuals.

I have the original operator's manual, has some content and trouble shooting, but most of it is based off a new machine versus a neglected one. Still good reference. Hope you can get it moving, once it's turning it is much easier to identify anything else it needs.

/ square baler trouble shooting #42  
NH 575 parts catalog shows some chains were utilized when transferring power
The only roller chains I had on mine drove the hydraulic pump for the bale tension cylinder and the feeder forks. The entire knotter assembly, the trip mechanism and the needles were gear driven. Power transfer on NH bailers as always been a hypoid right angle gearbox driving an actuator arm that powers the plunger and the knotter gear drive is vis a driveshaft from that gearbox.

/ square baler trouble shooting #43  
So you are admitting that your model 575 that you sold does had several chains. I'm very familiar with a right angle gearbox to power plungerhead & other functions on a small sq baler as JD sq balers have a similiar PH drive box.

I'm not that familiar with NH sq balers but I think a chain powers knotter via frt drive chain in 1st photo below.

I failed to locate in a 575 NH parts catalog a knotter drive "gearcase" although I located 2 knotter drive gears that operate in the "dust" not a gearbox. I noticed NH is very proud of that sheave/gear combo(item 45) @ $4,115.83 in 2nd photo & to think folks bash JD about the price of their parts.
Last 2 photos were taken of my neighbors NH 575 chains

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-21 052700.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-21 052700.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot 2022-04-21 093434.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-21 093434.png
    451.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot 2022-04-21 093025.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-21 093025.png
    325.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
   / square baler trouble shooting #44  
Second picture is the hydraulic pump drive. Your neighbors NH is filthy as well. I'd never let mine collect that much filth.

/ square baler trouble shooting #45  
At least my neighbor knows his 575 has several drive chains. You should have noticed your 575 had several drive chains when you cleaned your baler up!!! FYI 1st photo is of sprocket & chain to transfer power from hypoid right angle gearbox driving an actuator arm to remainder of baler

/ square baler trouble shooting #46  
John Deere 14T baler, breaking the twine after ties knott. Any suggestions as to why?

/ square baler trouble shooting #47  
   / square baler trouble shooting #48  
Welcome to TBN
Operators manual contains several solutions to twine tying problems. One solution is in photo below.
Screenshot 2022-08-26 061614.png

/ square baler trouble shooting #49  
I almost always see twine wrapped around the billhook with broken twine