square baler trouble shooting

/ square baler trouble shooting #1  

Jrasband

Gold Member
Tractor
2022 Kubota M7060, 2014 LS XR3032, 1987 Case IH 585 4wd, BCS 853 w/ 26" tires
Hello,

I am a first time owner of a Massey Ferguson #9 square baler. I recently got it off of craigslist, and am wanting to get it ready for 1st cutting.

Today I hooked it up to my tractor engaged the PTO and nothing happened... I turned the shaft but the flywheel did not turn the baler. I thought I heard a faint gear grind sound.

What do y'all think I should do next?

/ square baler trouble shooting #2  
My experience is with a New Holland Baler but I expect you have a broken shear bolt near the flywheel.

Once you replace the shear pin roll the baler over by hand before trying the PTO.

/ square baler trouble shooting #3  
check for a broken shear bolt

/ square baler trouble shooting
Thanks I will look for the shear bolt. Will it be obvious where it is?

/ square baler trouble shooting #5  
Hello,

I am a first time owner of a Massey Ferguson #9 square baler. I recently got it off of craigslist, and am wanting to get it ready for 1st cutting.

Today I hooked it up to my tractor engaged the PTO and nothing happened... I turned the shaft but the flywheel did not turn the baler. I thought I heard a faint gear grind sound.

What do y'all think I should do next?
First thing you should do is unhook it from the PTO, you have a lot of work to do before you get there.

Check for shere bolts as Hay dude said.

Grease it per the manual's instructions, most older manuals are available online for download via a nominal fee.

Oil all the chains.

Check all your bearings, rollers, bearing surfaces for the plunger and feeder.

Check your feeder/feeder bars for freedom of movement, any tangled baler twine in there, bent rock guards that rub, chain or drive system for function, and bearings.

If that's all good spin it by hand a few times

Next trip your knotters and spin the flywheel by hand to check timing.

Next engage the knotter safety manually or engage the needles out of timing and see if the safety stop works (spinning by hand).

Next, tie some knots. Spin by hand.

If all that checks out, then hook it to the tractor and spin it slow for 5-10 minutes and check for any heat on any of the bearings/bearing surfaces. Next bring it up, probably not to 540, but to where you think it would work and run it anther 5-10 checking for heat.

If all that's good try tying a knot with it moving slow, then fast.

If all that works well you can try to feed a few broken bales through and see how it eats/bales.

Honestly I wouldn't have bought a baler without having the previous owner demonstrate all this...while easy to work on they are not fast or cheap to repair.

And remember, don't put your fingers/arms/hands/clothing anywhere close to the moving bits!

/ square baler trouble shooting #7  
Thanks I will look for the shear bolt. Will it be obvious where it is?
Not sure how many are on your baler, but the most likely one to fail is through the fly wheel.

ETA as tempting as it is, use the weak grade that's supposed to be used don't grade up the bolt as that will just cause more expensive damage somewhere else.

/ square baler trouble shooting #8  
also be really careful when first running an older, unknown machine. Stay away from the moving parts and wear gloves & safety glasses at first operation. try to find a operators manual.

/ square baler trouble shooting #9  
also be really careful when first running an older, unknown machine. Stay away from the moving parts and wear gloves & safety glasses at first operation. try to find a operators manual.
A messicks video from back in the day talking about square balers said something like “your dragging a small factory around a field” and that’s always stuck with me as truth. A lot going on in there, new or old machines deserve a lot of respect.

/ square baler trouble shooting
Awesome, Thanks for the help everyone I will start going through the baler tomorrow and do the things that sea2summit suggested. Chains defiantly need oiled they are looking a little rusty. I have already greased every fitting I could find.

I have not been able to find a manual.

Yeah square balers amaze me with how sophisticated they are.

I will take my time and be very careful.