square baler trouble shooting

/ square baler trouble shooting #31  
#9 will bale decent when set up right. But they are old and a parts machine is valuable to have.

Attachments

• IMG_3903.JPG
    IMG_3903.JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 100
   / square baler trouble shooting
Farmer495 you have been very helpful!

The baler has been sitting a while.

The baler will not turn at all either way by hand.

My next step is to remove the pin in the swing arm on the other side of the flywheel to see if the problem is in the flywheel/clutch assembly.

/ square baler trouble shooting #33  
I have hardly tried to figure it out. If I can't find a problem after spending a little time on it I will get the manuals. I would go ahead and get them but my finances are extremely tight right now... Hence me doing it the other way
And you bought a baler you didn’t understand when your finances were so tight you couldn’t afford the manual? Hope it came with twine and grease.

/ square baler trouble shooting #35  
Farmer495 you have been very helpful!

The baler has been sitting a while.

The baler will not turn at all either way by hand.

My next step is to remove the pin in the swing arm on the other side of the flywheel to see if the problem is in the flywheel/clutch assembly.

#9 will easily turn by hand on flywheel if everything is free. If the baler does not turn by hand with the flywheel, either forwards or backwards, and the baler has been sitting a while, the plunger might be stuck. I think my first comment with that the slip clutch was working if the tractor was just spinning the PTO and not the flywheel, that is what would happen if plunger was stuck.

I'd leave the swing arm alone at this point until you know the plunger isn't stuck.

Ensure all old hay and and debris is out of the chamber and then soak top, bottom and sides of the plunger in PBlaster etc, and wait, then try to see if you get movement.

Depending on where on the plunger stroke it stopped, you might be able to tap the plunger from the bale chute end with a long, heavy wooden post (make sure twine and needles aren't in the way! I've also used a Jackall and a chain to jack a seized plunger out of a parts #9.

/ square baler trouble shooting
Awesome thank you Farmer495 for your tips. I will check out the plunger tomorrow, grease all joints with pb blaster and see if it is stuck.

Sea2Summit, yes I bought my first baler and I am learning. Couldn't pass it up at $300. It did not come with grease or twine. Also did not come with a tractor, rake, cutter bar, fuel, or grass.
I think what I heard you say is, I really think you should prioritize getting the manuals as they will really help you get this baler going for hay season. Is that correct? If so, I agree with you and I will get the manuals.

/ square baler trouble shooting #37  
Awesome thank you Farmer495 for your tips. I will check out the plunger tomorrow, grease all joints with pb blaster and see if it is stuck.

Sea2Summit, yes I bought my first baler and I am learning. Couldn't pass it up at $300. It did not come with grease or twine. Also did not come with a tractor, rake, cutter bar, fuel, or grass.
I think what I heard you say is, I really think you should prioritize getting the manuals as they will really help you get this baler going for hay season. Is that correct? If so, I agree with you and I will get the manuals.
Square balers, especially of that vintage, are made up of incredibly ingenious and simple parts and mechanisms…but there’s a whole ton of them and all rely on one another to be in perfect order for all of them to operate properly. One simple timing issue has to potential to destroy pretty much the whole baler. I would buy manuals before I bought twine if it were me, they are that important IMHO.

/ square baler trouble shooting #38  
Square balers, especially of that vintage, are made up of incredibly ingenious and simple parts and mechanisms…but there’s a whole ton of them and all rely on one another to be in perfect order for all of them to operate properly. One simple timing issue has to potential to destroy pretty much the whole baler. I would buy manuals before I bought twine if it were me, they are that important IMHO.

Thats true. We have a small baler shop nearby and an older Amish fella who worked on mine (New Hollands) for years. Of course he couldnt drive, but he had a driver. I think his name was ”Cowboy Joe” lol. He would have Cowboy Joe drive his pickup next to my baler and listen for the timing. Stop, make adjustments, and bale for a while.
After a while, I got to know just what it should sound like, too and made my own adjustments.
He was a super honest man and could make a baler run perfect. I had a brand new dawg break and he replaced the part without asking for a penny.
Before that I had a John Deere 336 which would make 7 out of 8 bales just right, then make a banana bale or some other distorted shape. Never could figure that thing out….
Ahhh, the bad ol days…..lol

/ square baler trouble shooting #39  
The one hay tool that causes the most grief is always a small square baler. Everything has to operate in complete harmony or they just plain don't work and the older they get and the more neglected they get , the less harmoniously working together the parts become. One thing I never cared for with older square balers (I started out with an ancient NH Hayliner 66, was all the chain drives. Chains get stretched and timing goes to hell. Modern balers (like the 575 I sold) are all gear drive so no timing issues, no chain stretch because there are no chains. One Vee belt for the pickup, thats it.

/ square baler trouble shooting #40  
Chains get stretched and timing goes to hell. Modern balers (like the 575 I sold) are all gear drive so no timing issues, no chain stretch because there are no chains. One Vee belt for the pickup, thats it.
NH 575 parts catalog shows some chains were utilized when transferring power

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-20 110054.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-20 110054.png
    190.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot 2022-04-20 111058.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-20 111058.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 86