Socket Organizers

/ Socket Organizers #12  
Back years ago HF was selling the cheesy ones real cheap. It looked like they were not going to carry them anymore so I cleaned out the bin and must have gotten at least 6 or more of each size. Still have not used all of them.
Have not had problems with any clip retainers coming off.

/ Socket Organizers #13  
I use the cheesy steel clip HF racks. They work for me and are no different than the cheesy steel clip racks that I bought 25+ years ago from Sears/Craftsman.
I haven't had good luck with the HF racks, you have to really push hard to get the sockets on, they won't stay on or pop off really easy and I've broken more than a few. The ones for the 1/4" drive sockets are the worst. My 30+ year old Snap-On rails still work fine. I've been wanting to call the Snap-On guy to get some more for some additional sockets I have accumulated over the years.

/ Socket Organizers #14  
I haven't had good luck with the HF racks, you have to really push hard to get the sockets on, they won't stay on or pop off really easy and I've broken more than a few. The ones for the 1/4" drive sockets are the worst. My 30+ year old Snap-On rails still work fine. I've been wanting to call the Snap-On guy to get some more for some additional sockets I have accumulated over the years.
HF has been upgrading their products. Maybe we are talking about two different periods of manufacturing?

/ Socket Organizers #15  
I don't know if there are better options now but my 40 year old Snap-on steel clip rails are still working fine after all these years.

/ Socket Organizers #16  
HF has been upgrading their products. Maybe we are talking about two different periods of manufacturing?
I don't know, I bought the last ones a couple of years ago and were quickly deported to the bottom drawer of my tool box.

/ Socket Organizers #17  
So, I have a crap ton of mixed, loose sockets, and I'm trying to get more organized.
For sorting, why not take a pound (around 75) 16d (3-1/2") finish nails and pound them into a scrap piece of plywood in a square array. Label the rows by brand (Snap-On, Mac, Proto, SK, ...) or quality (Best, Better, ...) and label the columns by size (8mm, 9mm, 3/8", 10mm, ... After sorting and deciding which sockets you want for daily use, you could store the remaing sockets by size, type, or brand in an attache case organizer (tackle box) with adjustable-sized compartments.

/ Socket Organizers #18  
about a year ago I bought a cheap set of metric impact sockets and it came with it's own organizer but they were not adjustable and would not hold the sockets in order and when I did locate the one I wanted I had to use a screw driver to get it off, so then I brought home one of the cheesy metal holders and put my sockets on in order as they should be then the biggest one fell off hitting my big toe (since I was just organizing sockets not doing actual work I didn't have boots on) so I screwed the holder to a board and it may be okay for now.

/ Socket Organizers #19  
Been my experience that most anything (sockets included) will get residual magnetism over time if they are made from ferrous metal.

/ Socket Organizers #20  
I use the HF magnetic bar….
Just the bar, the one they use to give away free..
Now I think it’s 2.00.??
I was wondering about using one of those, thought about fixing it to a board so as the sockets are lay down that way the magnet is not holding the weight and the size would be facing up.